Cloudy water coming back in pool when vacuuming

Jan 21, 2018
Houston, TX (area)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I have a pool cleaning service, and the cleaner showed me that when he hooks the vacuum up cloudy white water comes into the pool.
The pool company has quoted me a $2k new filter, but I checked my sand filter and there are no cracks (and all new sand).
I also replaced the gasket in the multiport valve (though did not glue it down, but used pool lube to hold it in place).

Thoughts?

Unless some unusual pool product(s) have been added recently, cloudy water generally means algae. Sounds like someone is trying to make some big bucks. For us to help though, we need to see a full set of water test results from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. That's always step one. Also be sure to update your signature.

Have you tried vacuuming yourself to see if the same thing happens? How does the water look? Do you have any water leaking from the waste line on the multiport valve? What brand and model filter do you have? The spider gasket may be a problem if it is not glued in.

Well... I do not have any test-kit (since I had my pool maintenance fully outsourced)...
Updated Signature with what i have.

Basically I got no test kit, no vacuum, no pool cleaning robot-thingy...
There is a tiny amount of water leaking at the top of the filter (where the pressure gauge screws into the see threw item).

Our pool would be green, then the service guy shocked it, which turned it white like milk, then it was clear and then green again...
Each phase was usually about a week.

Next to our pool, but not connected is a water feature that has tons of algae in it.
I asked if this could contaminate the pool, but the pool guy said it would not (the water feature is about 5 feet away from the pool).

Yes it should. The longer you run it the faster it should clear up. Green pools are a good indicator of either low chlorine or the filter passing. You should get some residual when vacuuming but it should be minimal. You can try some clarifier, it will bind to the smaller particles. But with the information given I would say it’s a filter issue.

Yes it should. The longer you run it the faster it should clear up. Green pools are a good indicator of either low chlorine or the filter passing. You should get some residual when vacuuming but it should be minimal. You can try some clarifier, it will bind to the smaller particles. But with the information given I would say it’s a filter issue.
Help me understand the filter issue.
It is a sand filter, recently replaced the sand (using proper pool filter sand) and inspected all internal piping and laterals, all are fine (no cracks).
Anything else could be wrong with a sand filter?

-Should note I only did that as the pool company tried to sell me a $2k new filter, as they claimed my filter had a crack (which I could not find), the issue was present before i did all that. -

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You do not add de to the filter when putting sand in it. I suspect that is what is circulating in the system.

Not sure what the issue is before.

I would suggest you follow the DE add to the filter process. That will likely trap the DE that is dispersed in your pool right now.

If that DE goes through the filter, there is damaged internals or improper sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.