Cloudy water after filter clean

parnic

Sep 17, 2015
Dallas, TX
Hi,

I've been doing basic pool maintenance on my pool since it was built in late 2015, but have been using a pool service for cleaning the filter every 3-6mo. Last month I decided to do it myself. Everything went fine with the cleaning part (thanks to the fantastic guides here) until I went to dump the DE into the suction-side skimmer. I think I may have forgotten to close off the quick skimmers, but while I was dumping the DE into the skimmer I noticed a lot of it was being sent back into the pool via a pipe opening in the shell beneath the skimmer I was pouring the powder into.

I cleaned the pool to the best of my ability and the water eventually settled and cleared up, but now (even weeks later) every time I turn on the equipment after it's been off for a few hours, the incoming water is very cloudy and ends up significantly clouding the entire pool and spa. I'm guessing there's a lot of loose DE sitting in the pipes that is being sent into the water.

So, my questions: any advice for dealing with the situation? Should I let the water clear up with the equipment off then backwash it for a while to flush everything out? And secondarily: did I likely screw up some part of the filter-cleaning/DE-adding process that I need to correct next time?

I don't have a DE filter but it sounds to me like you may not have gotten the laterals(?) put back correctly. Or maybe the socks that cover them. Might be a good idea to open it back up and post some pics.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops! They're called grids. :)

I'll have to admit, I hadn't heard of a hybrid cartridge/DE filter before.

I'm assuming you followed the instructions for this particular filter, you can find them here on page 8:
http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/QuadDEFilterIG.pdf

If you did, my next assumption is that perhaps one of the following is wrong (from the manual):
DIATOMITE IS CONTINUOUSLY ENTERING THE POOL
a. Inspect the elements for any tears or holes.
b. Inspect the internal air bleed sock for tears and proper installation.
c. Inspect the elements and make sure the elements are positioned vertically and properly seated between the upper manifold and lower manifold.

Parnic,

In "theory" the DE you put in the skimmer should be captured by the cartridge grids and not be returning to your pool. I would suspect something is not reassembled correctly or you have a broken or cut cartridge.

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell without reopening it and doing another cleaning and inspection.

When you added the new DE did you have the multiport valve in filter or backwash?

The best way to add DE is to put the DE you want to add in a five gallon bucket. Then add water from a hose, pushing the hose to the bottom of the bucket. You will be amazed at how much water will still fit in the bucket, even when full of DE.

Mix the water and DE to make a slurry.

With the multiport valve in the filter position, slooooly pour the slurry into the nearest skimmer to your pump. If you have a VS pump, it needs to be running at about 2,500 to 3,000 RPM.

A small amount of DE might initially come back into the pool but nothing like you are seeing.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I'll have to admit, I hadn't heard of a hybrid cartridge/DE filter before.

I'm assuming you followed the instructions for this particular filter, you can find them here on page 8:
http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/QuadDEFilterIG.pdf

If you did, my next assumption is that perhaps one of the following is wrong (from the manual):
DIATOMITE IS CONTINUOUSLY ENTERING THE POOL
a. Inspect the elements for any tears or holes.
b. Inspect the internal air bleed sock for tears and proper installation.
c. Inspect the elements and make sure the elements are positioned vertically and properly seated between the upper manifold and lower manifold.

I did follow these instructions, but overlooked the troubleshooting steps that exactly discuss my issue. Whoops! Thanks for pointing those out, I'll definitely crack it back open and see what I can see.

When you added the new DE did you have the multiport valve in filter or backwash?

It was set to filter. Thanks for the tips on mixing up the DE and the RPM on the pumps. I'll make sure to follow that more closely next time!

One last item, you said DE was entering the pool from a pipe below the skimmer. Do you have a return right under your skimmer?

I'm assuming so, though I admittedly am not 100% clear on what that particular opening is for.

I appreciate all the responses. I will do a manual inspection of the cartridges and see what happens. I may call the builder out to take a look and walk me through the cleaning to make sure I know better for next time.

Parnic,

I would "assume" the pipe opening, that is about a foot or so below your Skimmer is actually another input into the skimmer that allows your water level to drop below the skimmer opening and for the pump to not run dry. For it to work you have to have a diverter plate installed under you Skimmer basket.

For DE to come out that pipe, I believe that you had to have had your pump off or running very slowly. Or you were adding enough DE to choke a horse.. :drown:

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.