Cloudy water after every rain

Jdking

Jun 18, 2019
Nashville
New in-ground vinyl salt pool, 20K gallons, green and cloudy after every rain. Added 2 gallons of muriatic acid, full strength, and it cleared up over night. TA was still high, FC 7, CC 0, TA 160-180, pH was around 7.0. Bad rain last night, green and cloudy again this morning. No algae, just green and cloudy. Will I have to buy 3 gallons of muriatic acid every time it rains, or is this just part of balancing the chemistry in a new pool combined with lots of rain?

Reactions: ajw22
Read the resources here, pool school and ABC’s of pool chemistry, before you do anything else. You need to SLAM your pool and clear up the algae. The cloudiness and green tint is definitely algae.
I dipped a quart mason jar as deep as my arm would reach and the glass came up clear, no particles at all. The walls and the bottom are not slimy. No sign of algae.

I dipped a quart mason jar as deep as my arm would reach and the glass came up clear, no particles at all. The walls and the bottom are not slimy. No sign of algae.

That is not accurate. You’re equating a swamp to having algae, when there is a very graduated process of algae growth and presence.

What is your free chlorine and what test kit are you using?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jdking, when you say "green", can you describe the color with more precision? A pretty clear jade green, with little to no brown mixed in?

A swampy green-brown mixed-looking color?

A pale milky green like the color of (plain) Crest toothpaste?

Something else?

I gotta say ... any kind of strong green color in pool water clearing up overnight with any kind of treatment seems incredible. You're saying that after the muriatic acid, the water was crystal-clear the next morning? Not even a hint of haze?

Last edited:
Jdking, when you say "green", can you describe the color with more precision? A pretty clear jade green, with little to no brown mixed in?

A swampy green-brown mixed-looking color?

A pale milky green like the color of (plain) Crest toothpaste?

Something else?

I gotta say ... any kind of strong green color in pool water clearing up overnight with any kind of treatment seems incredible. You're saying that after the muriatic acid, the water was crystal-clear the next morning? Not even a hint of haze?
If there was a haze, it was very minimal. I kept the pump running, brushed the walls and the floor of the pool to the drains, backwashed and rinsed, then added two gallons of full strength muriatic acid, and in the morning, it was totally clear.

SLAM it, then raise you CYA to 70-80, and I you will have almost invisible water. Good luck and be patient !
I’m confused. Every forum I’ve read says to only shock if the FC is low or my CCs are above 0.5. My FC is 10, CCs 0, pH is 7.9-8, TA 170, and CYA 40. Are these appropriate SLAM levels? Here is a pic of the pool.

Attachments

• 42250AC6-D147-47FC-9B7E-C1D0350BB764.jpeg
    42250AC6-D147-47FC-9B7E-C1D0350BB764.jpeg
    486.7 KB · Views: 72
In that photo, there seems to be some haze obscuring the pool cleaner. Is that a pic before or after you added 3 gal of muriatic acid?

For all that muriatic acid, a pH of 7.9-8.0 (post #16) seems quite high. That was a day after your pH tested 7.0 (post #1)?
Ok, we made it! Just to clarify, the pool was clear up until this last Tuesday. We had a big rain Monday night and when I woke up, the pool was super cloudy. I backwashed and rinsed, left the pump running all night, brushed the walls and tanning ledge and vacuumed nonstop, and added two gallons of muriatic acid Tuesday night. Wednesday morning, it was clear as a bell. Numbers were still a little skewed, but I’m sure that was because of the muriatic acid.
Wednesday night, it rained even harder, and the pool was cloudy again. Yesterday, my FC was ok, no CCs, TA was 170-180 and pH was around 8. CYA was around 30, but I had good chlorine.
I went home from work, added another gallon of muriatic acid and some cleaner. An hour later, my TA was 130, pH was around 7.2, FC was 10, no CCs, and I could tell a change in the clarity. This morning, after pump running and vacuuming all night, we have a clear pool.
It seems the major problem was dirt washing into the pool from around the patio. We are installing a French drain this afternoon to try to mitigate the problem, but the dirt seems to be the root of the cloudiness. Have not tested the levels this morning, but everything looks good for now.

Do an OCLT tonight, and I can almost guarantee it will show you the need for a SLAM. But just to answer everyone's opinions and provide as much information as possible, let us know what your overnight loss is and we can go from there.
Ok, we made it! Just to clarify, the pool was clear up until this last Tuesday. We had a big rain Monday night and when I woke up, the pool was super cloudy. I backwashed and rinsed, left the pump running all night, brushed the walls and tanning ledge and vacuumed nonstop, and added two gallons of muriatic acid Tuesday night. Wednesday morning, it was clear as a bell. Numbers were still a little skewed, but I’m sure that was because of the muriatic acid.
Wednesday night, it rained even harder, and the pool was cloudy again. Yesterday, my FC was ok, no CCs, TA was 170-180 and pH was around 8. CYA was around 30, but I had good chlorine.
I went home from work, added another gallon of muriatic acid and some cleaner. An hour later, my TA was 130, pH was around 7.2, FC was 10, no CCs, and I could tell a change in the clarity. This morning, after pump running and vacuuming all night, we have a clear pool.
It seems the major problem was dirt washing into the pool from around the patio. We are installing a French drain this afternoon to try to mitigate the problem, but the dirt seems to be the root of the cloudiness. Have not tested the levels this morning, but everything looks good for now.

Reactions: Cincicobra

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.