clem1985

Apr 28, 2021
oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Background: opened pool to a green swamp. Been slamming for about a month. Pool passes OCT. CC .5 or less. What I have been battling for a while now is just a hazy water. It has been clear enough to see the bottom. Just not crystal clear. This brings me to today. This morning after confirming no OCT loss, i decided to go ahead and let the chlorine levels drop to normal levels. Even though it was still having the haziness this morning. We have been having rain all day. I come home from work and the water is crystal clear. Chlorine only dropped .5 over 8 hrs from 11 to 10.5.

With that information my question is, can the haziness been a cause of ammonia (much like how a fish tank will be cloudy due to cycling) High Chlorine levels (slam) or pH levels before the rain? I did test my pH and it was 7ppm before any rain.

Last edited:
If you had ammonia in the pool, you would have no FC or CYA, so it's safe to rule that out. More than anything I'm thinking the rain water may have helped to settle suspended material in the pool water. I wonder if you took a brush to the floor or sides if it would cloud-up again?

Based on your signature, you probably have a fairly small cartridge filter, so that's probably your biggest deficit at the moment. Lots of rinsing to get all the dead algae captured and removed.

Reactions: clem1985
That's a good point. I have been vacuuming daily and brushing. And dead grey algae keeps coming back on the floor. So maybe it's just passing through the filter?

It's been a while since I've posted here. So my signature is not updated. I have since upgraded the filter to a much improved cartridge filter.

Reactions: Texas Splash
So today since we had all the rain and water level was higher. I decided to vacuum to waste the dead algae since it would keep coming back after vacuuming and brushing and not getting filtered out. We'll see if this helps.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.