Cloudy pool

Left pump run all night on low. Numbers were still holding steady at noon FC was down to 2, everything else spot on, except cya continues at 30, we had a horrendous rain and believe this took it down to thirty. Water still hazy. Hopefully the water will clear on its own if I keep a close watch and maintain the numbers

An FC of two is below minimum for all CYA levels. You are inviting algae to the party.

It was normal last night, I awoke sharply at 11 o'clock this morning it was at 2, I added chlorine, to bring it back up. Is this not normal, other than staying up late and getting up late? Should I bring levels up above 4 at nights end, to have more acceptable levels in the morning? One other thing off topic, I have question with. I know to keep solar cover on at night will prevent heat loss. The water has been getting up to 88 and 89 degrees lately. So I had the idea to not cover pool, and maybe have pool lose a couple of degrees to help the next day. Is this not a good idea? Will leaving the cover off cause the chlorine to leave the pool too rapidly. What is the common practice? I could cover pool everytime I am not using it, if this is what is expected. I have no trees around to collect on waters surface, occasionally I might get one or two on the cover, but that goes in the pool when I roll up the cover anyway. I will search pool school for this information if it is there.

Last edited:
The cover being off at night has no effect on FC loss. If you have FC loss overnight, it is due to organics (algae) in the water.

You need to test your FC at about the same time every day. Then add enough liquid chlorine to keep your FC in target range based on FC/CYA Levels

Do you mean if I test the water and it says to add 10 oz, bleach to bring it up to 4, I should ad more than called for because it will eventually go down when I check it next time? I am thinking i don't know the proper process of keeping the chlorine levels where they need to be. Time to rethink SWG'S

The FC/CYA Levels shows a minimum and target range. Your FC should ALWAYS be above the minimum. So you add enough chlorine to raise your FC in to the Target Range each day.

Anyone as dumb as who has used empty cya bottle as a transporter for bleach to the pool? An accidentally poured bleach into the partially filled cya bottle. Cya bottle had around 20 oz's in it and I filled it to the top with bleach. Fumes were so bad I ran out of the garage, the solution was boiling hot too. I decided to slam the pool as all my efforts were having no good effect.

Reactions: CeltiaK
i was, for some reason thought that 4 was the number to attain, when dosing pool. How do I determine target numbers? Is it based off of cya numbers only? Does the amount of water in pool have anything to do with it? If I am to just go by the chart you linked, and not concern myself with volume, then at 40 Cya, my minimum is 3 and target 5/7. So everytime I check pool I should optimally bring it up to 7?

Last edited:
FC/CYA Levels

Use your CYA in the chart above. Keep your FC in the Target Range. Add liquid chlorine daily. Use PoolMath for how much liquid chlorine to use each day based on your daily testing.

In pool math you must enter the number of gallons of your pool. In the now column enter your current test results, then enter the number you want to target in the target column. It will then tell you how much of each chemical you need to add. Right now you are only concerned with FC and how much to add to reach your target.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.