Cloudy Pool

That's is correct. If your last CYA was rounded to 40, then 16 is the correct FC SLAM level. Going to 21 may have been a small PoolMath dosage error or perhaps the pool volume is slightly smaller than expected. But 16 is the correct target. I must've looked at a different number earlier. :crazy:
Yes sir so am going to keep it at 16 till it clear out. Just tested again it dropped to 14 from deeper side of the pool. Going to be a long week. Of to get more bleach

That's is correct. If your last CYA was rounded to 40, then 16 is the correct FC SLAM level. Going to 21 may have been a small PoolMath dosage error or perhaps the pool volume is slightly smaller than expected. But 16 is the correct target. I must've looked at a different number earlier. :crazy:
TC is at 23 after shocking more. Almost running out off the r-0871 solution. Is it safe to have the tc drop to 16 and not test till later on tonight.

Pool still super cloudy nothing changing. But going to wash the filter every 2 hours this weekend. And brush the walls. Robot running constantly. Not sure what else need to be done

An FC of 16 should be good if your CYA is 40. The clearing stage should be steady.... slow but steady. See how things progress after rinsing the cartridges a couple times. If it doesn't improve, you may need to check the CYA again.
Tested cya again and it seems to be at 50 so i should be at 20fc which the pool is at 22 now. Will keep it at 20fc and constantly brushing every hour this weekend

Reactions: Texas Splash
You may have an Ocean State Job Lot in your area. If you do, they carry 12.5% pool “shock” (bleach) for $2.99/gallon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, so this makes what ...... Day 5 right? Based on the color of the water, you should be breaking-through to clear very soon if everything is correct. In the pic it looks like everything is out of the water, I'm assuming no main drain, and I don't think you have a light. You have a cartridge filter that gets rinsed daily, so it's all about the water, vinyl, chlorine and stablizer level. For it to remain hazy much longer means something is off. So simply consider the following as you fine-tune any possiblilties:
1 - Algae biofilm un-discovered by brushing. Check the liner to ensure you have no wrinkles or creases that could hide algae; also inspect the skimmer closely.
2 - SLAM chemical balance off; perhaps the CYA test is still off (too low) resulting in an FC that is also too low
3 - Testing error on the FC test itself resulting in it being too low

Some of these things may not seem possible, but just tossing these out from experience. If all of these are ruled-out, then the water simply needs more time to process and filter the dead algae out of the water.
CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Use the mixing bottle to gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Recommend standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body at waist level. Then, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. To help the eyes and prevent staring at the dot, some people find it better to pour & view in stages. Pour some solution into the viewing tube, look away, then look back again for the dot. Repeat as necessary until you feel the dot is gone. After the first CYA test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, gently shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate your own CYA reading. Finally, if you still doubt your own reading, have a friend do the test with you and compare results.

Reading through this thread ... it looks like getting from a cloudy pool to a clear pool is really the most difficult and harrowing part of a SLAM. Going from "green" to "milky" is pretty easy, and then from "milky" to "hotel pool cloudy" isn't bad. But getting from "hotel pool cloudy" to "crystal clear" is rough.

Reactions: camikazi
Okay, so this makes what ...... Day 5 right? Based on the color of the water, you should be breaking-through to clear very soon if everything is correct. In the pic it looks like everything is out of the water, I'm assuming no main drain, and I don't think you have a light. You have a cartridge filter that gets rinsed daily, so it's all about the water, vinyl, chlorine and stablizer level. For it to remain hazy much longer means something is off. So simply consider the following as you fine-tune any possiblilties:
1 - Algae biofilm un-discovered by brushing. Check the liner to ensure you have no wrinkles or creases that could hide algae; also inspect the skimmer closely.
2 - SLAM chemical balance off; perhaps the CYA test is still off (too low) resulting in an FC that is also too low
3 - Testing error on the FC test itself resulting in it being too low

Some of these things may not seem possible, but just tossing these out from experience. If all of these are ruled-out, then the water simply needs more time to process and filter the dead algae out of the water.
I know it require 16 but is over shocking bad, tested for cya and shows 60 cya but will test again tomorrow. which 60 require 24fc if i am not mistaking. so keeping it at 24fc or above will that cause any issue.

also we have a big cookout this weekend, is using the pool with such high chlorine a no no

I know it require 16 but is over shocking bad
We do not recommend going over the SLAM/Shock level for your CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. However, if your CYA seems to be closer to 60, then definately take the FC up to 24 as soon as you can. That could be what's holding you back. As for swimming, as long as you don't let the FC go over 24 it's fine.

Pool finally 100% clear for a week now. thanks for your guys help.
Cya at 40
Turned salt generator on.

Now where should i keep my chlorine level at. Should it stay constantly at 16 or it can drop to 9?

Attachments

• 20190627_082900.jpg
    20190627_082900.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.