Cloudy pool water

May 24, 2017
Louisa/Ky
I'm new to a pool. We purchased a house last summer and the previous owners failed to open the pool since they were in the process of selling. The water is cloudy and I've tried everything I've researched on. I had the pool levels tested at the pool store two days ago and these were the levels. The tarp had a home in it and allowed leaves to get through, I've removed all debris a couple weeks back and the water has got cleaner it's just still cloudy.

FC: 3
TC: 3
PH: 7.5
ALK: 110
Calcium: 200
CYA: 20

the pool store said my water was perfect and I shouldn't have algae but I'm not so sure. They recommended a clarifier which has proven no result in the cloudy water.

ive included a couple pictures of my water. Any help would be greaty appreciated.

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

http://www.tfteskits.net There's your test kit right there.

the pool store said my water was perfect and I shouldn't have algae but I'm not so sure. They recommended a clarifier which has proven no result in the cloudy water.
Enough said about pool stores and testing of your perfect water ya' think?
Quit wasting money ther and buy the test kit. You, your family, and your pool deserve it. What kind of filter do you have and have you cleaned or backwashed it? How are you adding chlorine? Then we'll help you SLAM it. Welcome.

Glad you found TFP! Welcome!

I'm not going to just blatantly say the local pool store lies or doesn't know what they are talking about...I'll just say helping you is not their primary motivation. They want to sell product. I won't go so far as to say people with perfect pools don't buy expensive products and therefore don't benefit the local pool store but...economics.

First things first, you need your own test kit. We don't like to rely on the local pool store tests around here and for good reason. Get yourself a TF100 or a Taylor K-2006. I have the K-2006, in retrospect I would have bought the TF100. Either one will work.

Your cloudy pool obviously has an issue, lets solve it. Order the test kit, go read EVERYTHING in pool school (link in my sig) and then get us some numbers once your kit arrives. It'll be sparkling and beautiful before you know it. We can do some preliminary triage based on the LPS numbers but...I'd rather wait for you to test it yourself. Pay special attention to the SLAM section of pool school, its likely in your future.

Stick around and keep active and let us know how you're doing, we will help you get it beautiful the right way!

Welcome! :wave:

He won't blow his own horn, but check out Numb's story -- especially the end.

Looks like you played a round of Pool Story Wheel of Spend-a-Fortune.

attachment.php

Image5.jpg

Clarifier seldom does much more than gum up the filter. I suppose if the water was just a little hazy looking it might do something, but your pool looks like a job for chlorine and filtration. Do you have any kind of tester at all? Just elevating the FC to 5 or better should halt the algae's growth. If pool store results are correct. But it would be nice to at least halt things because as the weather warms up, algae grows faster.

One thing you can do that doesn't require a test kit is to deep clean the filter. Let that clarifier work a day and then vacuum (blindly if needed) and then Deep Clean.

I have test strips on hand, and I'll be ordering a test kit. I have deep cleaned the sand in the filter. I also backwash regularly, the strips today show the same results as the pool store roughly. I've also vacuumed the bottom of the pool after the clarifier.

I have test strips on hand, and I'll be ordering a test kit. I have deep cleaned the sand in the filter. I also backwash regularly, the strips today show the same results as the pool store roughly. I've also vacuumed the bottom of the pool after the clarifier.
Excellent!

Then it's just a matter of bleaching the algae into submission and letting the filter remove the dead stuff.

Nice job on working on getting that test kit, its your key to success. I also didn't have a test kit when I started trying to fix my pool, I approximated my CYA and did what I was then referring to as a "modified" SLAM while I waited. I wasn't really trying to fix it as much as I was trying to let it not get any worse. It works, just don't overdo it. You aren't anywhere near clarifier country at this point unfortunately, your SLAM will get you 99% of the way there if not 100%. Then we can help you polish that water when its ready.

As Richard mentioned, take a look at my thread, you can see what I did while I waited for my kit...adapt to your situation as needed. I was also using strips until my kit showed up. Spoiler Alert: Once my kit showed up I realized one thing very quickly...they're not accurate....at all. I'm not at all advocating deviating from the TFP methodology here, just....finding an interim solution until you can fully drink that TFP Kool-Aid.

1po2gc_zps2qaqd1pl.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The previous owners also mentioned they only managed to get it clean with a product called back to blue by pool life, have a full kit on hand was just curious if this would be any help along the way or not?

- - - Updated - - -

Heading straight after work to get what I need to at least keep it from getting worse until I get a better kit in.

If you can't tell me what's in that product and how it will effect your pool water in a positive manner, you are not allowed to use it. (self-educational opportunity there)

Plain.............ole'........bleach.

:wave: Welcome to TFP Mattapatamus

I'd put that "Back to Blue" kit up on Craqigslist to see if someone in your area wants it. I still have some spa products and those are going this summer. I feel bad but some people don't want to know or try TFP. They like the pool store and they're going to keep going there.

I went through a couple years of algacide and flocking before I found TFP. Even then it wasn't my pool so it was an uphill fight getting the GF to trust me rather than the pool store. I got so tired of getting handed a 25-50 dollar bottle of "try this" until something worked. So glad we switched.

From your photos it sure looks like you have some algae floating around in there it it's just a matter of letting the filter do it's job. Usually you can tell by the stairs that it's getting better each day when you're slamming and filtering.

Here is a link on the spider gasket if you're thinking of DIY. replacing hayward spider gasket - Yahoo Search Results
For me the hardest part is messing with the big spring but it's not that bad, just take your time.

The pump is only a few years old but previously not taken care of, I'm wondering if it would be more wise just to purchase the whole multivalve assembly, when I took it apart to deep clean the sand the diffuser on the bottom was laying in the sand bed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.