Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 14 years of pool stores and failure...

1. Back To Top    #1

14 years of pool stores and failure...

Long story short (ok, I just finished typing and re-reading, its not short at all), bought a house with a pool 14 years ago. For 14 years I've struggled with it. Always felt like the constant turnstyle of 'experts' at the pool store were blowing smoke...based on all the reading I've done here lately, that seems to be true.

Found this site and started reading everything I could, finally found something that makes sense to a logical mind.

Back in March I started fighting a pond. I got taken for around $500 over the course of a month for this and that random ridiculously expensive chemical. The color cleared up but man the water was cloudy and it just wouldn't give up. I mentioned things I had read like adding DE to my sand filter and they responded like I was insane. *sigh* Yet I kept handing them $$$. The fault is mine for not finding this place a decade ago.

At the same time I got an MX8 Elite. Haven't had any kind of cleaner other than a broom/vacuum/pole in the last 5 years after my G2 which never quite worked was junked. I deliberated extensively about a robot and had I found this place earlier I might have done it. Maybe down the road a bit, doesn't hurt to have both right?

The cloudiness never cleared, eventually it started to go green again at which point the cloudiness settled.

That being said, I ordered a K-2006 and some refills on the essentials for clearing this pool up (in retrospect I wish I had gone with the TF-100 but...now I know where to get my refills). I went and refilled on two crates of 12.5% HASA from the LPS in the interim. I used some strips I had just to get a rough baseline until my kit got here (lots of zeros in those results, including chlorine and CYA). The face of the 6 LPS's that I checked for a K-2006 in stock should have said it all...they thought I was nuts. "But....we can test your water. Not even the pool guys use those." Yeah, no thanks. I got this.

Ok, sorry enough story time. So CC, FC, and CYA were all zero. PH and TA looked ok. CH was showing high but meh, its Arizona water. Its high as soon as it leaves the pipe.

I added enough CYA (sock over skimmer with manual intervention to hasten the process) to get my level to around 30-40 based on pool math and assuming current level zero. Since then I've been doing as sufficient of a SLAM as I can using strips (in the trash tomorrow I promise!) until my kit gets here tomorrow so I can start seriously crunching the numbers. I've definitely seen progress. Once I vacuumed the green'ing clear'ish pool as expected it went full green and cloudy after stirring everything up. Its still about half cloudy but the color has lightened up a lot since I started on Sunday. Have been brushing and/or vacuuming daily. Still not clear, but its definitely getting there. I know I can't truly be SLAM'ing until I know my exact numbers but, I didn't see any value in letting this thing pond up on me during the five day wait.

The pool as a whole needs work, but its perfectly functional. It really needs a whole makeover, and maybe after I stop dumping so much $$$ in to chemicals I don't need, that can become a reality. Its been neglected over the years, and thats on me. Call it ignorance induced frustration. No more of that non-sense. I am a numbers guy, this suddenly just became much more intriguing.

I did replace the sand filter/sand and the backwash valve last summer. Pump was rebuilt about 5 years ago. No multi-port valve, nothing fancy. Its your average ordinary diving pool built in 1974 (and it looks the part).

I'm ridiculously eager for this test kit to show up tomorrow so I can start sharing numbers and getting this thing ready for the family to swim in this summer. My goal is simple, for the first time in 14 years, I'm going to keep this thing crystal clear and beautiful all summer. Just wanted to start a thread in preparation for posting numbers tomorrow. Glad I found all of you, I hope you can tolerate me!

Thank you to all of you for everything you have already taught me. This place is loaded with great information.
    21K gal in-ground, plaster
    1HP Single Speed pump, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter TR-60
    MX8 Elite Suction Cleaner
    TFP Pool Noob - It took me 14 years! Learn from my mistakes, go back to Pool School!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 14 years of pool stores and failure...

Welcome to TFP. I'm just a spa owner but everyone helped me a lot, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will help you out!
    Arctic Spa Klondike Legend SE
    AG / Filter Cardtrige 50m2/ TFP / borates / TF100
    478 gallon @ 99.5-103.1 F Depending on season
    Ozonator disconnected

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! Definitely looks like you have done some reading and put 2 and 2 together. We look forward to seeing some numbers and helping you get that old pool looking brand new.
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I am glad you found us too. Welcome aboard.

My favorite thing being part of this forum is seeing the light come on for people, and cases like yours are really what keep me coming back. I get truly disgusted reading how pool stores run people through the ringer, but then, just as elated reading about someone taking the reigns like you are. Keep doing what you are until the kit arrives, and we will be anxious to see the numbers when you post them up.

I'll be keeping an eye out for your post, and look forward to seeing your first (and last) slam on this pool!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If you get a chance, please post pics of your pool and progress. As your cleanup progresses, the pics will become very helpful.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP!

I can't wait to watch your pool go from swap to oasis, and to see your joy in using the pool. Like you I struggled with pool $tore potions then decided to educate myself. This site has been a priceless source of fact based info, and wonderful members who are truly in it to help others. I'm proud to be a part of it.

BTW- We LOVE pictures!

Nice to have you with us.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

So after you get the test kit and get your pool in order.....will you still be "numb"?? LOL

Welcome to TFP. It is completely science based and the most frugal way to care for your pool. You are gonna be amazed when you see how clear and clean your water can be.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    So after you get the test kit and get your pool in order.....will you still be "numb"?? LOL

Yippee

Maybe we will have to change his name to Comfortably Numb, or Happily Numb.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

9. Back To Top    #9

Hello Numb and welcome to TFP. I have confidence you will find the success you've been missing. I've only had my pool for less than a month now. It is big and old and it's my first. I got my test kit the day we closed on the house and my water is sparkling everyday with balanced numbers...AND...it's so easy! Everyone I know shocks their pool every week and their pools smell awful. My water smells fresh as a daisy. Just waiting for the water to warm up enough to jump in now. I look forward to seeing your numbers and pics. I'm so glad I knew about TFP before I got the pool. I found it three years ago when we were thinking about building new. That didn't happen and we finally ended up finding the perfect house with an existing pool. You have entered the light at the end of the tunnel!

Enjoy!

Crystal
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, much appreciated.

UPS is throwing a damper on my testing party today, just got notice that there has been a delay with the trailer my package was on, delivery date unknown at this point. Hopefully its just a one day delay.

I'll grab a pic once there is some sunlight on it. Just fair warning, its not the prettiest pool ever! It may hurt your eyes. I'm quite envious of all of your gorgeous pools. lol Plaster issues on the steps, deck needs resurfacing, whole dang thing needs a makeover. One thing at a time for now.

And I'll always be 'numb', of at least some variant. Its a long story.
    TFP Pool Noob - It took me 14 years! Learn from my mistakes, go back to Pool School!

11. Back To Top    #11

Hey, don't be too hard on early-70's pools! I've decided mine isn't old, it's vintage.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

If it holds water, and that water is lovely and clear and sparkling, you can overlook blemishes - nobody cares if the plaster is pretty as long as they can use it to cool off on a hot day - and we're already getting hot days here in AZ!
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

13. Back To Top    #13

I love a vintage pool! Bring it on. Once you get your water right you can start doing all kinds of things to make it the best it can be. I have all kinds of ideas to improve my old pool. It's fun! Post away and everyone will come up with all kinds of fun projects for you. Kimkats will love to help you spend your money on something besides pool store chemicals for a change!

Crystal
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool

14. Back To Top    #14

No worries man! That just means you have potential for a smashing remod at some point. I hear, some members like those as well or better than a new build.

If you get Kimkats involved, she will help you decide on lots of goodies, but most of all...LOTS of BLING!

You cant miss her....She always shows up with her to cheer people on.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

15. Back To Top    #15

Something to consider. You might want to check your CYA number. I was surprised that it was zero after 14 years of "pool store". Typically that means lots of shock and pucks and CYA through the roof.
    40 year old pool, 35k gal w/spa, gunite replastered July 2016, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump, TF-100, Kreepy Krauly suction side cleaner Dolphin M400

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Paul & Crystal View Post
    I love a vintage pool! Bring it on. Once you get your water right you can start doing all kinds of things to make it the best it can be. I have all kinds of ideas to improve my old pool. It's fun! Post away and everyone will come up with all kinds of fun projects for you. Kimkats will love to help you spend your money on something besides pool store chemicals for a change!

Crystal
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    No worries man! That just means you have potential for a smashing remod at some point. I hear, some members like those as well or better than a new build.

If you get Kimkats involved, she will help you decide on lots of goodies, but most of all...LOTS of BLING!

You cant miss her....She always shows up with her to cheer people on.
    You rang??????? Never fear! is here!!!!!

You have so found the right place to care for your pool! We will get you all set up and it will be FUN!

Pool $tores ruined my last pool "Oh just take out an inch or so of water and add some new back in. That will take care of everything. Don't forget to add this and that." NOT! My numbers were so off my liner "rotted" out even with water in it! WHOOSH! Out is went almost taking me with it! I did not replace it until my hubby found TFP. I bought the test kit BEFORE I ordered the new pool LOL

I now LOVE my pool and am a MOD on a pool forum! Funny how things turn out!

Did you know you can buy a "baby" test kit at Wal-mart? The hth 6 way test kit. It has the CYA test in it. It does NOT have the upper level FC test though. It is up to you if you want to see if you can find it and find out your CYA level before your grown up test kit gets there.

I would LOVE to see a picture of your pool and area! We can come up with all kinds of way to fix it up! Taking a picture a day of the water looking down at the steps will really help you and us see it clear and give us a good time line.

we got ya!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

LOL!

There she is!!! I knew she would sniff this out before too long.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

18. Back To Top    #18

lol Kim does have a brand! This makes me want one of my own.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

19. Back To Top    #19

So many responses, you guys are awesome. Also see the suddenly legendary has joined. Things are looking up!

So I'm waiting on an update from UPS on my test kit and when it will be delivered, but if it won't be tomorrow I may go grab that mini test kit just to at least baseline CYA. As far the question earlier about concerns it wasn't actually zero...I have those concerns too and I know there's a chance that the chlorine I've been dumping in it this week is all for naught. I'm prepared to eat that (well, not literally), I just didn't want it getting worse.

Its getting better on a day-to-day basis, its now definitely a shade of something not entirely green so thats an improvement. It looked so much worse a few days ago. I'm adding pics below, for whatever reason they look darker than it does in person but thats ok (probably due shadows from the cloudiness), I'd rather it looked worse than it is, than better than it is. Enough rambling, here's 2000 visual words:

IMG_3376_zpsqhjoi2yg.jpg

IMG_3378_zps7q0v2wwj.jpg

20. Back To Top    #20

That's the pool you were ashamed of? My only disappointment in your pics is that we can already see the bottom! Another way to kill some time while you await your kit is to do a search here on variable speed pumps. I waited 8 months to upgrade. I wish I had done it sooner.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast