Cloudy pool s/p refill - not losing FC (1 ppm/day) CC 0-0.5 - next steps?

crimson avenger

Gold Supporter
Jun 22, 2019
Chicago
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
I’m at a loss. I recently completed a SLAM, resulted in a drain and refill. (You can read my SLAM thread here). That was last week. For the last eight days I have lost between zero and one ppm of free chlorine daily. No combined chlorine. I brush and vacuum every day (no poofs when I brush), cleaned my filter with TSP last week as well. Filter pressure is where I expect it (no rise above clean level).

The problem is my water just is not TFP clear.

It hasn’t been perfectly clear since we had a pool party several weeks ago where I found a 4 inch ball of sunscreen In the skimmer. I still brush a very small amount of sunscreen out of the skimmer every day. Bringing FC even far above SLAM level (I know, I’m bad) didn’t improve the dull nature of the water.

I’m wondering if there is a non-algae problem going on here. I’m wondering next steps. Any role for any additional products to try to get my pool completely sparkling?

My partner says the water looks clear, but I look at this pool every day, and it isn’t perfect.

FC 8.5
CC 0
pH 7.5
CYA 50 (tested about 4 times - same result)
TA 110

Help appreciated.

Last edited:
I had a similar situation a couple weeks ago. Just a dull water and slightly cloudy. I attributed mine to a low CYA which resulted in my FC dropping a bit too low. While your CYA is low for a salt poo, you seem to be holding a good FC. Yu recently did a SLAM, and you don't think you are losing much chlorine each day. But before anything else this go-round, I would start with another Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Just peace of mind knowing that no excessive FC is being consumed. If you pass the OCLT, it may just be a matter of your pool still breaking down a bunch of oils and junk from the last party. It may just take more time, chlorine, and filter rinsing.

Reactions: crimson avenger
I had a similar situation a couple weeks ago. Just a dull water and slightly cloudy. I attributed mine to a low CYA which resulted in my FC dropping a bit too low. While your CYA is low for a salt poo, you seem to be holding a good FC. Yu recently did a SLAM, and you don't think you are losing much chlorine each day. But before anything else this go-round, I would start with another Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Just peace of mind knowing that no excessive FC is being consumed. If you pass the OCLT, it may just be a matter of your pool still breaking down a bunch of oils and junk from the last party. It may just take more time, chlorine, and filter rinsing.
Did one last night. Went from 7.5 to 8.0. So I know I’m holding FC…

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
Couple of pics. Not well-represented but slightly dull appearance to water.

At night when the pool lights are on you can see a slight haze close to the light, but then is clear further away from the light. Don’t have a pic of that.

More noticeable in the sun.

Attachments

• 57FF3196-711E-4EBA-8B25-8D4CBD343215.jpeg
    57FF3196-711E-4EBA-8B25-8D4CBD343215.jpeg
    529.8 KB · Views: 19
  • EE02F04D-CD85-4399-83DB-5AF576F4BA54.jpeg
    EE02F04D-CD85-4399-83DB-5AF576F4BA54.jpeg
    374.9 KB · Views: 19
Y’all must have some incredibly high standards! That water looks crystal clear to me.
I’ve seen enough of my pool water to know it’s off.
And the TFP standards are really amazing!
Had I not found this forum I don’t think I would even know anything was going on. I’d be clueless actually!
I will admit it has not been good for those of us with OCD though…:unsure:

Reactions: Mdragger88
I’ve seen enough of my pool water to know it’s off.
And the TFP standards are really amazing!
Had I not found this forum I don’t think I would even know anything was going on. I’d be clueless actually!
I’ve got a lot of learning to do and I’m thankful that I found this form before our pool is being built. I’m sure someone will chime in, but it definitely looks like you’re doing something right! I’d swim in that with no hesitation.

We all know our pools that's for sure. Based on the good OCLT and appearance of the water in those pics, it sounds like there might be a slight amount of residual material just waiting to get filtered. Probably just needs some time for the filter to get it all. So fine you can't see it with your eyes, but it effects the clarity just a tad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pics, it sounds like there might be a slight amount of residual material just waiting to get filtered
+1. When you drained, the oils on the surface probably coated the sides as the water dropped. Refilling put it back in the water. No nearly as much, but just enough that you see it being off.

+1. When you drained, the oils on the surface probably coated the sides as the water dropped. Refilling put it back in the water. No nearly as much, but just enough that you see it being off.
Is there a solution? The party in question was 4 weeks ago.

When I get back in town on Tuesday I’ll throw more scum stars in to see if that helps.
With so little gallons and such good parties you will probably decide to drain again at times. When you do I would take the extra step when it’s empty and wipe/sponge it all down real good.

If you think it through, no matter how you drain it, the sunblock and whatnot will be sitting on the top level of the water and coat the pool on the way down. Some will get taken out but a lot will remain upon refilling. So the water is clearer but it still has a haze floating on the top.

With so little gallons and such good parties you will probably decide to drain again at times. When you do I would take the extra step when it’s empty and wipe/sponge it all down real good.

If you think it through, no matter how you drain it, the sunblock and whatnot will be sitting on the top level of the water and coat the pool on the way down. Some will get taken out but a lot will remain upon refilling. So the water is clearer but it still has a haze floating on the top.
That was my thought as well. Prevention though would be better than trying to do a bunch of drains and refills. I’ll throw a bunch of scum stars in during a party and swap them out frequently next time.
Thank you!!

Reactions: Newdude
I never even tried the fancy ones because tennis balls worked so well. And it will only add to the good times when everybody is playing with them having alcohol induced juggling competitions. :ROFLMAO:

Use a dozen. They’re dirt cheap and fun.

I never even tried the fancy ones because tennis balls worked so well. And it will only add to the good times when everybody is playing with them having alcohol induced juggling competitions. :ROFLMAO:

Use a dozen. They’re dirt cheap and fun.
That’s an amazing party idea. Thanks for all of the wonderful insight!

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.