LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I opened late this year, It looks like my cover leaked as I had an extra 8" of water when I pulled the cover off. The good thing is I did not have to bring the level up as I drop it below the skimmer for winter. The pool was cloudy and I can see the bottom barely. After opening I added 1 gallon 12.5% chlorine and a non chlorine oxidizer 1 lb plus a few lbs of baking soda. Today I got bogus readings so these are from pool store at 11 am.

FC 0
TC 2.8
CC 2.8
PH 7.5
CH 90
Alk 10
Phosphate 100

So at 1 pm I added another gallon of 12.5% that I just bought in the last few weeks.
I also added 2 lbs of non chlorine shock.

This is from my TF 100 at 9 pm
FC 3
CC .5
PH about 7.4
TA 80
CH 70 I did not test CYA tonight.

I am concerned about all the chlorine I dumped in 2 gallons and I am only at 3. When I ran my pool rover the bag filled with black junk like a powder. I have two bubbles one popped over the winter and the other had like a black mold on the top and a white powder on the bottom water side. I closed normally using Algaecide and I think 1-2 gallons of 12.5%.

Any suggestions, just keep filtering?

I did by 2 lbs of CYA but am waiting to put that in, I like to get it to 40-50 range.

Thanks

Good morning! :wave: Here's what I would recommend:
1. Make sure the pH is indeed between 7.2-7.4.
2. Increase your FC to "10" before adding anything else. Test in 10 minutes to make sure the FC will remain close to 10, or at least between 5-10 in 10 minutes time. If not, if it dropped below 5, increase right away with bleach and continue this until the FC begins to hold for at least 10 minutes.
3. Once you know the FC is holding okay for 10 minutes, then add enough stabilizer to increase CYA to "30". Don't worry about testing or adjusting anything other than FC, CC and CYA during the SLAM.

From there, it's all about the SLAM (link below). Make sure to follow all the instructions on the SLAM page and you should do fine. Let us know if you have anymore questions.

So I got my pool stabilized by Slamming for a few days by raising FC to 9-10 range. It was dropping very fast to under 4. This went on for 3-4 days. Now I have a different dilemma.
I added 2 lbs of Cyanuric acid last week and I am still reading about 10, Should I wait until the water warms a little to check? The 2 lbs did dissolve in my skimmer. I am afraid of adding too much.
FC 3.0
CC 0
PH 7.4
CH 90
TA 100
CYA <20 maybe 10

The water is clear

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.