Cloudy pool, algae covered floor, no chlorine...

Well that's about the amount I need so...but if that's true, then they told me another pool store fib...they said it goes further!! Back to the store to get my money back!!
When you tell PoolMath you have a 19k pool, using the Effects of Adding Chemicals it came back at 19ppm for you. Trust PoolMath... give the pool store a raspberry:pth:

Maddie :flower:

It did go further. It went home, then back to the store, then to someone else's home. 😁 Oh. Right. But just like any of their advice, it didn't help you in the way you had hoped.
LOL that's exactly what will happen I'm sure!!

I haven't found CYA anywhere but Leslie's...YET! Where does everyone usually get that??

Are you asking about the liquid or granular? I always got my granular at Lowes, but the liquid is only sold at the pool store.
I meant the granular. I will check my Lowe's and see if they carry it. Thanks!!

Checked all my numbers tonight, since it rained, and since I've been vacuuming and had to backwash a little. Here they are :

07/24/2021
9:20pm
FC - 0
CC - .5
CYA - 20
PH - 7.8
TA - 100
CH - 300

My hubby added a gallon of chlorine to bring FC up to 5 overnight. I'll be working on those other numbers starting either tomorrow, but most likely on Monday!! Still have a bit of vacuuming to do. We got the skimmer cover with the opening for the vacuum hose, and I found some thigh high nylons that work well with my skimmer basket, so yay me! LOL

At this point, is it safe to get in the pool? I know pH and TA are still a bit on the high side, but will it harm us to get in once chlorine is up a little, say around 3 or 4? MY HUBBY is very eager to jump in! 😂

LOL that's exactly what will happen I'm sure!!

I haven't found CYA anywhere but Leslie's...YET! Where does everyone usually get that??
Amazon has some pods which I have used before but man I think I paid $14 now they are $28
Also don't make my mistake, I bought CYA from amazon and started pouring it in my hair net and thought it looks different and is dissolving fast. They looked and they sent me PH up! Same brand and it looked similar but won't do that again!

Reactions: DoePooled
I meant the granular. I will check my Lowe's and see if they carry it. Thanks!!

Checked all my numbers tonight, since it rained, and since I've been vacuuming and had to backwash a little. Here they are :

07/24/2021
9:20pm
FC - 0
CC - .5
CYA - 20
PH - 7.8
TA - 100
CH - 300

My hubby added a gallon of chlorine to bring FC up to 5 overnight. I'll be working on those other numbers starting either tomorrow, but most likely on Monday!! Still have a bit of vacuuming to do. We got the skimmer cover with the opening for the vacuum hose, and I found some thigh high nylons that work well with my skimmer basket, so yay me! LOL

At this point, is it safe to get in the pool? I know pH and TA are still a bit on the high side, but will it harm us to get in once chlorine is up a little, say around 3 or 4? MY HUBBY is very eager to jump in! 😂
You can definitely swim if you can clearly see the floor in the deep end and as long as the FC isn't higher then the slam level of 10. Once you bring the CYA up you also have a higher slam level, 30≈12, 40≈16.

• Love
Amazon has some pods which I have used before but man I think I paid $14 now they are $28
Also don't make my mistake, I bought CYA from amazon and started pouring it in my hair net and thought it looks different and is dissolving fast. They looked and they sent me PH up! Same brand and it looked similar but won't do that again!
Oh no! I hope it didn't take too long to fix after that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lowes and Home Depot usually carry CYA, but it's a bit pricey in my opinion - usually around $20 for 4lb. Academy sometimes has it cheaper, but it's hit or miss. I've found the best deals on Amazon in larger quantities, such as this one ($38 for 10lbs):

I've found the best deals on Amazon in larger quantities...
I saw I could get 25 pounds for about $70. Would I ever use that much in a season though, and if I didn't, would it last through next season? Hopefully I won't need any more anytime soon, but there's a possibility that I will, because, after debating whether to use the liquid, or to take it back for granular, I opted to use what I have on hand, since I became ill yesterday morning, possibly with the 'Rona, though I hope not. I can't get to Leslie's right now for a refund or exchange. I will probably just order more, in case I need it again right away.

How long after adding the liquid should I wait to test the CYA level? I'm not sure how much chlorine I'll need until I know what my CYA level is. I read somewhere that we can use the pool within 30 minutes of adding the Cyanuric Acid. Is that correct?

Sorry for all of the questions, but things just keep popping up! 🤷‍♀️ Thank you for your time and help!

How long after adding the liquid should I wait to test the CYA level?
Liquid mixes pretty quick. The normal 30 minutes should be plenty to have it show up.
I read somewhere that we can use the pool within 30 minutes of adding the Cyanuric Acid. Is that correct?
Yes. I swam in giant CYA clouds while dispersing the granular from the sock. I certainly didn’t go under and open my eyes in the cloud, But 2 minutes later it and I was fine.
Would I ever use that much in a season though, and if I didn't, would it last through next season
It lasts a long time so no biggie if you buy too much.

• Love
The problem with liquid CYA is you need to use the whole jug at once and keep rinsing it into pool when empty because it has all the sludge on the bottom and doesn't mix well to use a half jug. You really don't know what CYA was added. I recommend you wait 2-3 days and then do a CYA test to see whether you've gained much.

Last edited:
Liquid mixes pretty quick. The normal 30 minutes should be plenty to have it show up.

Yes. I swam in giant CYA clouds while dispersing the granular from the sock. I certainly didn’t go under and open my eyes in the cloud, But 2 minutes later it and I was fine.

It lasts a long time so no biggie if you buy too much.
Dude, thanks so much!!

Reactions: Newdude
It rained again, and I vacuumed once more to remove a little remaining debris from the pool floor.. Added water and a jug of chlorine. Here are my numbers, after letting the pool circulate all afternoon:

pH - 7.8
FC - 7.5
CC - .5
CH - 275
TA - 80
CYA - 30

Ok, I know I need to bring CYA up to 40. Should I lower pH and alkalinity a little? Thanks! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.