Cloudy pool after Ascorbic Acid treatment/how to raise Chlorine.

Mar 2, 2013
Central Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello. After determining i had rust stains on my plaster, I read up on Vitamin C treatment on this site. Before I added Natural Chemistry extra strength stain free (Ascorbic Acid), I lowered ph to 7.2, added pool tonic phosphate remover and algae all 60 recommended here. I also have Biogard Optimizer at normal levels for long acting algae control. I then back washed my DE filter. I did the treatment 3 days ago. It was recommended to turn pool pump off overnight vs. recirculate recommended here. I proceeded to add metal free treatment as directed.

Last night I noticed slightly hazy water 48 hrs post treatment. I was concerned about algae so I added maintenance dose of algae all 60 (3 days after last dose). Water chemistry performed at pool store yesterday:
Pentair SWG set at 20%
25,000 gallons
PH 7.6 Added .5 lbs. Ph reducer
FC 0.1
TC 0.1
TA 94
CH 233
CYA 61
Salt 3200 adding 20 lbs today
Phosphate 853 maintenance phos remover added.

This morning the pool is cloudy blue. I back washed filter. Is it safe to add clarifier at this time? The product says not to shock the pool for at least a week. Pool store told me to keep chlorinator at 20% which usually maintains chlorine at 2. This morning I still couldn't get a chlorine reading. Product also recommends not to use SWG for shocking.. I've read different threads here about adding chlorine after treatment but I am a little confused since it is supposed to be raised slowly. How should I proceed? How many days should it take before chlorine starts to rise? Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• 16540066277898260757069089839311.jpg
    16540066277898260757069089839311.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 4
The phosphate removers (entirely unnecessary in your situation) will cloud up the pool. They need to be filtered out and the filter cleaned immediately to remove them.

I suspect you have algae. Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. You need a FAS-DPD test for that.

Stay out of the pool store.

Welcome to the forum! Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School......it'll tell you you don't need most of the stuff you are buying.

That said, you DO need about 5-7 ppm Free Chlorine ASAP

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.