Cloudy pool, added floc last night

I couldn't find something that says chlorine only. I have 3 cylinders. I see a R-0003 bottle with a tiny blue spatula and the liquid has a yellow cap, atall thin CYA cylinder, and a cylinder around a CYA mixing bottle with a red cap. I attached 2 pics of what I received. I excluded the wall brush and skimmer angle tools. If I am missing it, I feel like a dope.

Attachments

• Cylinders.jpg
    Cylinders.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Kit.jpg
    Kit.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 28
Okay so what you do is put a big dot on one of those tubes. That will make it your chlorine only one. They are really the same so I don't think it really matters. I only have one tube that I do all of my tests in so not sure why they would do that.

Okay so what you do is put a big dot on one of those tubes. That will make it your chlorine only one. They are really the same so I don't think it really matters. I only have one tube that I do all of my tests in so not sure why they would do that.
I believe they started doing this whole "chlorine only"/separate tube thing because the FAS-DPD reagents can stain the plastic?

I'm like Kim I use the same tube for everything and never had any problems....

Use 1 of the 2 that are similar in your photo. Not the one with the dot.

Mark it with a marker (dot on the bottom or squiggle or something) to and use whichever of the 2 you choose for chlorine going forward. Use the other 1 for the other test except where otherwise directed.

The one with the dot already on the bottom is for the CYA test. It is the skinny one. The other two are the same. You can rinse the tube and reuse it if you want to. That is what I do as I only have one tube.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1559779279741.png

I understand. I believe they used to mark them with a sticker like seen in this photo (click to enlarge). Unfortunately you got 2 without a sticker so you will have to just pick one to use and mark it for future reference somehow (with a nondescript marking... and don't mark over the measurement lines etc).

They do this I believe because the FAS-DPD drops or powder can cause a ring or stain to appear in the plastic over time (I think). But really it does not matter. You can use the same tube for everything. I use only 1 tube. Kim uses only 1 tube. It will be fine either way. You can do this!

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
I will send you a sticker out tomorrow! I'm sorry. We put the Chlorine Only sticker on because the DPD powder that is used in CL testing tends to stain everything. People have used muriatic acid (use precautions) or rubbing alcohol to clean their cylinders. Again, sorry about the sticker-it is on the way so you can put it on! rebecca

Reactions: Junesb and justinc
Thanks! I'm hoping it will be clear by Saturday. My TF-100 arrives tomorrow.
Clear by Saturday may be tough. Swimable, maybe if you follow a strictly follow the SLAM Process process. Test often, maintain FC at the proper level and brush. Backwash the filter only when it gets 25% above clean pressure.
You need to be able to clearly see to the bottom.

Heres my tests:
The CL and Br side is more yellow than the top line of 5 and 10. When I tested Cya, the bottle stayed clear. My pool is very shaded with neighbors tree branches hanging over my yard.

FC - 13
CC - 2.5
CH - 150
TA - 90
pH - 7.8
Cl - above 5 (Using the daily CL and pH test kit)

Attachments

• IMG_20190606_075037886_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190606_075037886_HDR.jpg
    777.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
OK, so combined chlorine of 2.5 definitely means something is in your water that we need to kill and remove with a SLAM.
-Lower your pH to 7.2 by calculating how much acid to add in Pool Math.
-Ignore alkalinity for now.
-Ignore calcium hardness for now.

When you are testing for CYA, you added the full amount and you can still see the dot plain as day? No clouding at all? Verify your CYA test. What do you mean above 5?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.