Cloudy, opaque white.

Jul 2, 2009
Slidell, La.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So. Lost pump, and that took a bit to replace. Green while waiting. I drive so in and out. A little help from the wife and the green is now cloudy white. Able to see the bottom step of the stairs.
Over night it held at slam level 16. I have been getting some granules of sand with the vacuum, though not much. Maybe a tsp.
Is it just a waiting game, I've not had it linger from cloudy to clear this long.
I did vacuum the heavy crud out, cleared all debris, brushing, and run a sweeper daily until yesterday.
First couple backwash was dirty and green, now it appears clear, but this multi-valve doesn't have a site glass like my last one.

Should I give it more time?

AG
Vinyl
10,600 oval
FC 16. (slam)
TA 60
CYA 40
PH 7.4 app.

Attachments

• 20220221_113246.jpg
    20220221_113246.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 14
Yup -
Hold SLAM Process fc level until u meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria.

You are done when:​

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT
  • And the water is clear *It’s not clear yet so keep going- *Also be sure to backwash when filter pressure rises 25% over clean pressure *Don’t forget to vac/brush daily & check those steps!

Yup -
Hold SLAM Process fc level until u meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria.

You are done when:​

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT
  • And the water is clear *It’s not clear yet so keep going- *Also be sure to backwash when filter pressure rises 25% over clean pressure *Don’t forget to vac/brush daily & check those steps!
Thx
The odd thing is my CC was, and is 0.5. It 0.0 until this weekend. Two days at 0.5, now 0.0 again.
Thansk again.

A sand filter is the slowest type of filter to clear murky water. Especially in an AGP with poor circulation.

Have you tried adding a cup of pool grade DE to your filter through your skimmer to improve its fine filtering?

I think you need to be patient and when you lose patience it may be time to open up and deep clean your sand filter.

Reactions: Mdragger88
A sand filter is the slowest type of filter to clear murky water. Especially in an AGP with poor circulation.

Have you tried adding a cup of pool grade DE to your filter through your skimmer to improve its fine filtering?

I think you need to be patient and when you lose patience it may be time to open up and deep clean your sand filter.

Thanks for the information. I was on the road and didn't see your response. I have not added the DE, but will try that next. It holds Chlorine over night, only dropping, at most, from 16 to 15. Last night I tested and added at 8 pm, this morning tested at 8 am and only 1 point. I'll get the DE today, and back wash before add. I seem to remember reading that and will make sure I follow instructions. It did clear a small amount more, but. Thank you for the input.

Reactions: Mdragger88
So none of the DE makes it through the sand filter and into the pool? And there are no issues with additional pump head loss if you add as per method?

No, none of the DE should get into your pool. IT looks like dirt to your sand filter.

You are only adding 1/4 cup of DE or so. The DE helps capture finer particles then the sand alone would.

No, none of the DE should get into your pool. IT looks like dirt to your sand filter.

You are only adding 1/4 cup of DE or so. The DE helps capture finer particles then the sand alone would.
Thanks - the reason I asked was quick google suggested DE centers around 10-200 micron particle size and sand filters filter down to maybe 30 Micron...although maybe Heated / pool DE is not so fine?

Thanks - the reason I asked was quick google suggested DE centers around 10-200 micron particle size and sand filters filter down to maybe 30 Micron...

DE can filter down to 3 microns.

although maybe Heated / pool DE is not so fine?

I would not believe everything you find with Google.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I would not believe everything you find with Google.
Yeah - my point was not the filter pore size of DE but that if there are 10 micron DE particles and sand filters only catch down to 30 Micron, then some of the DE may go through the filter and end up in the pool like other fines in a sand filter

Yeah - my point was not the filter pore size of DE but that if there are 10 micron DE particles and sand filters only catch down to 30 Micron, then some of the DE may go through the filter and end up in the pool like other fines in a sand filter
DE is larger then 30 microns and does not go through the sand filter.

DE clumps together tighter then sand which allows it to capture smaller particles. It has to do with the shape of the individual granuals.

Reactions: cam2000deluxe
Since you're adding the DE via the skimmer, it sits on top of the sand in the filter. So the water goes thru the DE before it settles down to travel thru the sand. If you backwash, that DE will come out with the dirty filter water. You'll have to replace it if you want to.

For future reference- any time the pump goes kaput, continue to add liquid chlorine daily and stir to mix in. You'll be keeping your FC level up and the only thing lost is the actual filtration. So it may get dull, but shouldn't get algae.

Maddie :flower:

OKAY. thank you everyone for your assistance and questions. Added a wealth of knowledge. So, I caved. My area was running out of Liquid pool chlorine and the Mgr. that I've come to know, were telling me that they didn't know when they would get any. So, commence the Yelling. I used a minimal amount of FLOOC, and cleared. All numbers were in TFP spec.
When testing no change for CC, and OCLT was just at 1.0ppm for two days, and just a bit more during the day. I only had 10 gallons of Chlorine left. I wasn't adding hardly any, but wanted to have some on hand. Vacuumed to waste, let it sit another day, vacuumed again. and the only issue that has presented is my TA jumped up to 110. Just got back in vacuumed the last bit out today.

So. I've another issue. Although maybe two tbspn, but it is something, of sand is showing up on the bottom when I use my pool sweep. Could this be contributing to my filtering issues? The pool was installed a year prior to our buying the house, and the only thing they seem to have gotten correct was the oversized sand filter, but. Well anyway
After the vacuuming, I'll retest my CYA, as it was at 40ish when I tested it prior to all of this.... Not to mention that I still cannot get the hang of that test....

Thank you everyone.

AG
Vinyl
10,600 oval
FC 6
TA 110
CYA 40 (?)
PH 7.8 app.
1.5" plumbing, two speed motor, High 10hrs nightly, Low r,remainder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.