Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Yesterday's numbers
Tc=fc=10.5
Ta 70, ch 300, cya 50, ph 7.5

I brush daily or every other day, and we've had 3 weeks of windy weather. The top of the water has a white dust-like film on top in addition to leaves. When I brush, I lift up a normal amount of algae in certain stops. I do lift up algae almost daily.
Is my water just cloudy from the stuff blowing in? It was clearer 2 days ago.
IMG_20190107_124509.jpg

Re: Cloudy-ish water despite good numbers and no algae

What is a TF-50 test kit?

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

When I brush, I lift up a normal amount of algae in certain stops. I do lift up algae almost daily.

Normal amount of algae is zero. If you have algae you need to follow the SLAM Process process exactly as described until you meet the 3 exit criteria.

What is a TF-50 test kit?

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
Normal amount of algae is zero. If you have algae you need to follow the SLAM Process process exactly as described until you meet the 3 exit criteria.

The TF-50 is a smaller version of the Taylor 100. OH NO not another SLAM. I had to do one 2 months ago. Thanks.

OH NO not another SLAM. I had to do one 2 months ago. Thanks.

You sure you met all 3 exit criteria in your last SLAM Process?

Let's discuss how you maintain your CL level is you are getting recurring algae.

You sure you met all 3 exit criteria in your last SLAM Process?

Let's discuss how you maintain your CL level is you are getting recurring algae.

thanks Allen
Yes, I met all 3 last time, and the pool has been fine since then. I brush daily or every other (I hav 2 jobs, but I stay on top of it), and I test CL daily or every 2 days with a full test weekly.

My water is on the chilly side, which I thought that calmed algae down a bit. Apparently not.

Its still a bit early for pollen, even in Miami.....isn't it? (pollen would show up on everything, not just pool surface)
Maddie :flower:

Thanks. I do not see pollen everywhere.
I want to learn from this once and for all. Since my last slam in november or october, I tested fc daily or every 2 days, and I brushed daily or every other day. I kept the fc at the high end of the chlorine chart for my cya.
Why then, did I usually brush a very small amount of algae and now I have cloudy water that needs a slam? What did I do wrong?

Why then, did I usually brush a very small amount of algae and now I have cloudy water that needs a slam? What did I do wrong?

Others have posted the saga of their SLAM Process, step by step, as they do it and we have been able to point out where they were doing things not exactly to the directions. Small details matter.

So I suggest you post your water chemistry every time you check it and what chemicals you add when you add it. Continue sharing after your SLAM Process is completed and let us see your routine for a while.

Begin with doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and post your results as you do it.

Reactions: nabril15

thanks again Allen

OCLT = 0, yet the water remains cloudy. So, I will continue with the SLAM, and heed your advice.

I continue brushing and testing, but the water isn't clear yet. The oclt tests usually pass, but I typically have to add chlorine after the midday test; it's been sunny as normal. I also keep brushing, and test 3 times a day-morning, noon, and night.

I've slammed before and I was done after a week; this time I'm headed into day 8. Is that normal?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Post your test results each time you test in the format:

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA
CSI
WATER TEMP

Post your test results each time you test in the format:
SLAM CL LEVEL: 20
Oclt 3
FC 17
CC 0
PH n/a
TA 80
CH 275
CYA 50
CSI - 0.19
WATER TEMP - i don't have a thermometer. It's been cold 50s and 60s for a month.

I just added 106 ounces of chlorine before leaving, and the ater looks a bit clearer.

For the SLAM Process to work most effectively you must MAINTAIN your FC level at or above your shock level of 20. Letting the FC fall to 17 reduces its effect. If you are losing 3 FC overnight then raise your FC to 23-25. Keep your FC high enough that it stays ABOVE 20 between checks.

You cant compute CSI without a valid water temperature. Get a thermometer.

Ok. Happy pre-eclipse Sunday
The slam was over 2 days ago, and the pool looks inviting.
Fc 21, ta 80, cya 50, and ch 275.

I continue brushing and haven't added any chemical except a bit of chlorine yesterday. Now comes that transition from slam to normal which is weird because I feel that if I stop monitoring the fc since the slam is over, it will slowly get consumed down to the target level for my cya (6-8). But, wont algae come back during that consumption period??

Ok. Happy pre-eclipse Sunday
The slam was over 2 days ago, and the pool looks inviting.
Fc 21, ta 80, cya 50, and ch 275.

I continue brushing and haven't added any chemical except a bit of chlorine yesterday. Now comes that transition from slam to normal which is weird because I feel that if I stop monitoring the fc since the slam is over, it will slowly get consumed down to the target level for my cya (6-8). But, wont algae come back during that consumption period??

If you pass the 3 exit criteria then FC is no longer being consumed by algae.

Your FC will drift down as the FC is lost from the suns UV rays. Usually 2-3 ppm/day is normal FC loss.

If your pool is algae free now, then the normal 6-8 or above FC for your CYA will kill any organics that fall into your pool before they can bloom into algae.

A boring update. The pool remains clear, though full of wind-blown debris (leaves, dust, etc).
FC is at 18, and I brush daily or every other day.

An update
Fc 12, ch 10, ta 70 and cya 50
I know that ph tests are unreliable above an fc of 10, so I didn't waste reagent. Do I know care or worry about ph??

Two slams ago, a forum member suggested that I do the fc test using 5ml instead of 10 so as to save some powder amd reagent. Since then, that's how I do it all the time, with an occasional test using 10ml. Is my method wrong or inaccurate? I obviously don't divide the number of drops by 2.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.