Cloudy during slam = it’s working?

Jun 6, 2015
Boston/MA
Initiated a SLAM to try and get rid of stubborn tan stains on bottom of pool. Of course, I then realize that I’m using a k-2005 and not 2006. I just bought it. Ughh. So I can’t get a true reading of my chlorine past 5. I added 2 gallons of liquid bleach and the color on chlorine is dark red. So I know I’ve got lots of chlorine. Two questions:

1. I’ve read that the best test kit tf-100 or k2006c would show me my total chlorine accurately - I made a mistake and bought wrong kit. Given that, what do you recommend I do re test kit?

2. Also, I read in one of the comments that the tf-100 will only approximate the total chlorine by turning orange or brown...can someone tell me more about how it works?

3. Is the fact that it’s cloudy showing that it’s working? The slam?

4. should I change my Cartridge filter out in the middle of the SLAM... realizing I probably should have done that before slam. Btw... my pressure with brand new filter reads roughly 20psi. Always has. And is at 20 now
would share my test results but chlorine and ph are so high right now due to 2 gallons of bleach. Not sure that would help. Ch

‘thanks all. Trying to live the new troublefree way and ditched the pristine blue a month ago. Using metal sequester to get rid of any left over copper in pool/ I think I’ve gotten rid of most if not all.

ps the pool math app is awesome and so is that stirrer recommendation. Checking alkalinity has never been easier.

Last edited:
Darn! We try to warn folks over and over not to mistake the test kits....must have forgotten to tell you. Sorry!
Order this all important test and your kit will be basically a K-2006 kit now-

No, the FAS-DPD test goes from colored to clear, and its a matter of counting the drops of reagent to get the exact number for FC and CC. Color matching is the "comparitor block" which is limited to less than 5 or 10ppm. Someone may know if the color is "School bus gold" or "orange" or "brown" what that is loosely equivalent to. I don't. Use the Search Line above and pick the "G" option to search here on TFP for that info.

Cloudy is algae dying usually.

You'll probably need to clean the cartridges a few times. Monitor your clean pressure rising....clean when it rises > 25%

Maddie

Are you sure your pressure gauge works?
They have good glycerin filled replacements on tftestkits also if you wanna rule that out.

You should clean the filter when it rises
25 % over clean pressure.

Thank you! I had to purchase a new gauge a few months ago as mine (sits flush in waterway filter) was filled with water as I left out in winter. My next gauge will be a tf one. So the gauge is accurate. I think my power flow ii is pretty strong and my pressure has always been high since new purchase.

Oh and I just ordered the $30 chlorine test from tftestkit....

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Darn! We try to warn folks over and over not to mistake the test kits....must have forgotten to tell you. Sorry!
Order this all important test and your kit will be basically a K-2006 kit now-

No, the FAS-DPD test goes from colored to clear, and its a matter of counting the drops of reagent to get the exact number for FC and CC. Color matching is the "comparitor block" which is limited to less than 5 or 10ppm. Someone may know if the color is "School bus gold" or "orange" or "brown" what that is loosely equivalent to. I don't. Use the Search Line above and pick the "G" option to search here on TFP for that info.

Cloudy is algae dying usually.

You'll probably need to clean the cartridges a few times. Monitor your clean pressure rising....clean when it rises > 25%

Maddie

You all do a fine job of speaking about the tftestkit but if I can make a small suggestion.... they should highlight on tftestkit that you are able to measure chlorine accurately above the 5ppm for slam etc. The kit description is ok but could be more descriptive. I only bought the k-2005 because I was used to the Taylor vertical bottles and thought I was buying the fas-dpd and I was ok. It was my mistake. I did learn, rather quickly that the cya chemicals were not enough and bought a larger bottle so I could measure more than twice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.