Cloudiness not resolving

RachelS

Sep 26, 2019
Georgia
Hello

After going out of town for a week, we came home to a leaf filled swamp of a pool. We’ve cleaned out the leaves, the filter, and added the chemicals the pool store recommended, but the cloudiness isn’t going away. The pool store is telling us that we’ve added the appropriate chemicals and the water is balanced, so it must be an issue with the sand in the filter. They’re telling us we need to replace the sand, but our filter is so old the trays will most likely break during the replacement and since they’re no longer available this will mean having to replace the entire filter. This is our first year owning a house with a pool and we’re admittedly novices and have been relying on what the pool store tells us. We’ve already had to replace the liner at the beginning of the season and are hoping there’s something else we can do to resolve this issue without also having to now replace the filter. Is there anything else that can clean the sand without having to replace it?
(Pic of pool and filter attached)

Attachments

• 93E852AB-E926-4500-BC07-8DD80036F44E.jpeg
    93E852AB-E926-4500-BC07-8DD80036F44E.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 01D61F1D-8898-4110-95E4-CDEFFAE5DE9B.jpeg
    01D61F1D-8898-4110-95E4-CDEFFAE5DE9B.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 12
Welcome to the forum:wave:
You do NOT have to replace the sand. That is the pool store's way of telling you they don't understand what they are doing.

For us to offer valid help, we need valid test results (not pool store testing). Please consider purchasing one of the two kits we suggest for what we teach......nothing else will do. Your problem is almost always a chemistry issue (not filter) and we need to get a basis to start.

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.......that'll get you started.

Next, please read THIS article on deep cleaning. It'll walk you through the whole process because your filter surely needs it even though I do not believe it is the problem

Here's the thing.....we don't give a lot of credence to Pool Stores. They're often clueless and out to make a sale. We here at TFP believe in *owner control* of the pool via owner testing. There are two test kits we trust to be most accurate and contain everything most pools need to test. One if the TF-100 made by a company that produced the kit with our methods in mind. The other is the larger, more expensive K-2006C (the C version is the most similar in reagent quantity to the TF-100, for comparison sake). My own personal preference is the TF-100 from
www.tftestkits.net

It will give you -
FC - at far higher levels than the pool store ever could
CC - a lot of pool stores don't test this!
pH
TA
CH
CYA - such an important test meant to be performed *outside*.....ever see a pool store clerk go *outside* to read it?? Nope, me neither.

We *can* help you....AND save you ooodles of money. Our methods use chemicals you can buy in the grocery store or hardware store. Many TFP-ers have NEVER stepped foot in a pool store and maintain gin-clear pools for years. I'm on year 8 and I've never once had algae.

Give our way a try, we're all pool owner volunteers happy to help you.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.