Cloudiness help?

Lfleming

Sep 21, 2019
Clarksville, TN
Hi all. I inherited a green pool With frogs, tadpoles, eggs... all up in it. I managed to clear the green color and the frogs and such are gone (I used a green to clean bundle before I read up on slamming) but the water was still cloudy after that so I’ve been slamming for a week and there’s been no change. Also my CYA levels have risen even though I’m using liquid chlorine which, I thought, should be unstabilized? Ive been monitoring the FC frequently but didn’t think to check the cya regularly so now I’m not even sure I’ve been keeping the FC levels high enough.

when I started slamming to clear the cloudiness my cya was 30, TA 80, Ph 7.4, FC 1.5, CC 1.5, and Calcium hardness was 350. A week later of maintaining an FC of 12 (based on that original cya of 30) my levels tonight were FC 11, Ph 7.2
CH 125, TA 70, and CYA 50. I forgot to test CC. I’m not sure if I should keep slamming since it’s still cloudy (but what on earth could still be living in this bleach water?), Raise my TA and PH and use a Floc, let the chlorine levels drift down and retest everything, or do something else entirely. It’s mid August and I’m running out of swimable days but have been working on this thing so long.... I’m so tempted to just let the chlorine levels go down to 4 and just swim in the cloudy water. Or just give up and tell my kid I couldn’t figure it out.

Any suggestions about where to go from here?

If im not mistaken the Green to Clean has MPS, which will read high CC for a while. Can you please fill in your signature with your pool specs and test kit you are using. If water is cheap you might consider a full drain and refill and start fresh. PH and TA were fine, you did not need to mess with them. Please read up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and if drain is not possible then you will need to SLAM Process use the FC/CYA Levels to raise FC for 50 of CYA. If you used Floc and run it through your filter, it will be all gummed up. The slam process has 3 exit criteria which you have not met.

Reactions: mknauss
@Lfleming a week is not a terribly long time for the starting conditions of the pool. What type of filter do you have? Could you post some pictures of the current water conditions? Daily pics straight down from the top step are helpful so you (and us) can see if there is actual progress. Stay the course and although you may not have a lot of swimmable days this year you will be in great shape next year and have a great handle on how to maintain the pool.

Have your FC levels been pretty stable now or do you still need to add LC several times a day? If the FC is holding pretty well you are at what we like to call the PoP stage. Pool owner patience. Once all the organics are dead, it’s a waiting game for the filter to do its thing. All filters are not created equal and this step can take much longer if the filter is not greatly oversized.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.