Closing with a cyclone and not lowering the water level.

gatorbrit

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 22, 2013
Raleigh,NC
In the past I've lowered the water below the returns and skimmers, then used a shop vac to suck the water out of the lines. It's a long and tedious process.
Even though I lower the water, by spring, the pool is full up again due to rain and snow.

I have acquired a cyclone and was thinking of not lowering the water. Instead blowing the lines from the skimmer and then once only air comes out of the returns, plugging the returns (even though they are underwater). I'd also quickly plug the skimmers as well. I think a small amount of water may get in but shouldn't be too much.

What are your thoughts?

Use blow through gizzmos at the skimmer(s) so you don't need to lower the water. For the returns use either threaded Return plugs and cap them with air gushing out, or use (also blow though) Bungee plugs.

So the time you are saving by not lowering the water at closing will be used up to pump water out of the pool during the winter as you said it is full by spring from rain/snow??. I would rather lower now and let it slowly creep up over winter than worry about siphoning water out during cold months. Just a thought

I would rather lower now and let it slowly creep up over winter than worry about siphoning water out during cold months. Just a thought
You get about 4 ft of annual rain and OP gets about 3. Depending on how long everyone's off-season is, draining 18 inches at the start may be enough, or maybe not, for folks with permeable covers. Some also can't drain as much at closing due to groundwater concerns, but either way, whatever falls needs removing.

On my 1st pool I'd drain 18 inches at the start, and another 18 inches mid season and by spring it was full to the brim again. My new pool has a bench so I can only drain a foot, so I need to remove another foot twice during the off season for the 3ft I typically accumulate.

So the time you are saving by not lowering the water at closing will be used up to pump water out of the pool during the winter as you said it is full by spring from rain/snow??. I would rather lower now and let it slowly creep up over winter than worry about siphoning water out during cold months. Just a thought
You might consider an automatic siphon like I built here. I can just go turn on the hose for 30 seconds and it’ll start the siphon and shutoff when the left gets to the end of the pipe.

Well I've had a pool for 9 years, and I've drained every year by about a foot. I've then winterized the pump and removed the SWG unit. By spring the water is always at the top. Any extra just flows away into the surrounding ground. A mid winter draining is not an option unless I reconnect everything and run the pump to pump out water. At which point I will then need to re-winterize the pool and start over.

Any extra just flows away into the surrounding ground.
It may undermine the patio on its way out.
A mid winter draining is not an option unless I reconnect everything and run the pump to pump out water. At which point I will then need to re-winterize the pool and start over.
This 1.6 HP submersible
Pump is $83 and can accept a garden hose, or a 1 inch or 1.5 inch backwash hose to really make quick work of it. A submersible pump should be in every pool owners stash. It's kinda like a shop vac, you don't need it until you need it, but it's worth it's weight in gold when you do.

Well I've had a pool for 9 years, and I've drained every year by about a foot. I've then winterized the pump and removed the SWG unit. By spring the water is always at the top. Any extra just flows away into the surrounding ground. A mid winter draining is not an option unless I reconnect everything and run the pump to pump out water. At which point I will then need to re-winterize the pool and start over.
Overflowing is not a good thing. If you don’t have a way to siphon, you can drop a sump pump in for a few minutes and handle it that way.

Take a look at the bad things that can happen allowing water to get in the surrounding soil in my pool renovation thread. Even a small leak over a period of a week damaged my newly refinished deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.