Closing saltwater pool

Have a read through this article

Biggest factor is close the pool late and open it early. Pool water should be at 60F or less.

It is an option. A saltwater pool is no different from any other chlorine sanitized pool. All pools that use chlorine have salt water in them.

Have a read through this article

Biggest factor is close the pool late and open it early. Pool water should be at 60F or less.

When do you recommend opening the pool? I can't check the temp with the cover on. Do you go by air temp?

Opening is before the water gets to 60F. If you cannot access the pool water, then I would suggest as soon as no below freezing temperatures are occurring over night. That should make sure the water has not reached the 60F level.

Westbrook:

If you have a mesh cover, the best thing to do is to bring up to SLAM level, or use Poly 60, but not both. Then purchase inexpensive covers at Wal-Mart. Tie them down securely over the mesh cover blocking the sun from entering the pool. You can always remove the covers once December 1st is here. In the spring, you can put the covers back on, unless you open real early. By then, the Poly 60 should have disappeared, but we really do not have enough data to determine.

I can tell you from experience, whether I close my pool the first week of September or last week of October, that there is no presence of algae in the spring. Always open your pool, at least 4-6 weeks in the spring before the holiday, which is really the key to all this. In the spring, with cooler temperatures, even if you had algae, the SLAM process is real quick.

Again, the key is to cover the mesh cover with solid covers until the cold weather kicks in. Good luck and keep us posted!

Reactions: westbrook215
Westbrook:

If you have a mesh cover, the best thing to do is to bring up to SLAM level, or use Poly 60, but not both. Then purchase inexpensive covers at Wal-Mart. Tie them down securely over the mesh cover blocking the sun from entering the pool. You can always remove the covers once December 1st is here. In the spring, you can put the covers back on, unless you open real early. By then, the Poly 60 should have disappeared, but we really do not have enough data to determine.

I can tell you from experience, whether I close my pool the first week of September or last week of October, that there is no presence of algae in the spring. Always open your pool, at least 4-6 weeks in the spring before the holiday, which is really the key to all this. In the spring, with cooler temperatures, even if you had algae, the SLAM process is real quick.

Again, the key is to cover the mesh cover with solid covers until the cold weather kicks in. Good luck and keep us posted!
Good ideas. Do you know the amount of polyquat needed for a 22k gallon pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.