Closing Procedure Tips for Above Ground

KBoy420

Jul 17, 2020
Eastern PA
Hey all - starting to plan out my first close. Have read several forum topics and heard from others. Would you guys walk me thru it? What order steps do you take? What should I look out for and any other items I need besides the cover? Particularly interested in what to do with the water prior to close, chemical wise, and how much to drain. Thanks all!

Thanks all!

So according to what I've read in the attached thread above, I don't need to buy the "winterizing kits" for sale from places like "In The Swim"??? And I've read both positive and negative comments on a pillow. Since my pool is rather large (30' round), I was thinking the pillow would be a good idea as it would bring any water and debris to the edges where I can easily remove it... Yeah or No?

I don't need to buy the "winterizing kits" for sale from places like "In The Swim"???
Correct. If you really want to throw money out, I'll help you. Just make the check out to Newdude with a capital `N`. I'm a good friend like that.
And I've read both positive and negative comments on a pillow
Also correct. They work until they dont. Sometimes they pop, they are a bit of a hassle and some people just drain the water that collects on the cover occasionally instead. Other people can't sleep at night if they didnt have their cover lifted. I can promise you this..... within a few years you will have a strong opinion on the matter and either way, you won't be wrong, :)
I was thinking the pillow would be a good idea as it would bring any water and debris to the edges where I can easily remove it..
The water will be at the edge and evenly across the pool without a pillow. It will drain easily either way. The debris however is kept out of the middle with the pillow and it is easier to scoop out if its already at the edges. Especially if you are a vertically challenged American.

Reactions: MommaHuffman
If you cover the pool you need to be sure not to anchor the cover to the skimmer box. If you use the type of cover with grommets and a cable and winch to tighten it up, leave the skimmer exposed and keep the cable above the skimmer. If you run the cable below the skimmer you run the risk of ice weighing down the cover and causing the pool wall to buckle. Personally once all the leaves are off the trees I would leave the pool uncovered. Fill the skimmer with chopped pool noodles so that any water that collects will compress the noodles and not crack the skimmer. My 2 cents on covering an AGP for winter!

Reactions: jlt19
This is what I did last year, though I'm thinking of changing a few things this year.
1. Pulled ladder, cleaned pool, SLAM, let FC drift to normal, added Polyquat 60, ran pump for 24 hrs before starting to drain, 6 inches below the return jet.
2. To drain, we had to rent a pump b/c the ones we tried to buy weren't strong enough to push the water uphill where we wanted it drained. *probably changing this year to NOT draining and just plugging skimmer/return*
3. After draining, I drained the filter, took pictures of all the connections (was SO helpful in spring) to remember how it all went. Unhooked all of the hoses, unhooked the grounding wire and the pump and stored all of that in the basement after I rinsed them well and dried. Any screws or anything I put in baggies with notes on where they went.
4. Blew up three intex tubes I found on Amazon for like $5 and tried to tie them together with strong string and center them in the pool. This worked until putting on the cover moved them to the side. They never did pop though, so that's nice.
5. Put on pool cover. I did use the wench, but I also used bungee cords to weigh down about 20 chlorine jugs filled with pool water. *will probably not use the wench this year as I don't fell it's necessary*
6. I did have a leaf cover last year but we cut down our massive oak in spring, so probably won't bother this year.
7. I bought the Little Giant pump and the arm attachment last year and placed it in the middle of the pool. I kept it plugged in all winter and whenever it would have more than an inch or so of water, it would drain. It also helped weigh down the middle of the cover so water pooled there. *thinking this means having a stack of tubes is pointless, so will just blow one up to have in the pool to help prevent freezing/stress on the pool walls*
8. I think that's pretty much it. I did open to a perfectly clear pool in April or May (don't remember-2020 has been WEIRD) so guess I did something right!

Reactions: LouinNY
jlt19: I am curious how the pump weathered the snow and cold? I was going to pump water off occasionally, but leaving the pump out seems a lot easier.
It worked the entire winter without issue. I think at one point it did freeze around it, but I'd kind of break up the ice with a pool pole. I may have unplugged it when we got super cold, like below 0, but I don't really remember. I never took it off the pool though. Fingers crossed it works this season!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.