Closing pool super late! Questions!!... *pretty pics included!!* :)

thefloatqueen

Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Still haven’t closed my pool yet (waiting for latest possible time) and have been scooping leaves out and cleaning out the skimmer basket throughout the days nonstop. I’d say I’m doing a pretty good job considering all the trees behind my backyard! ??‍♀️ Yay for crystal clear water and pretty foliage! If only those pretty leaves could fall elsewhere until I order and put on my mesh winter cover lol. My question is, is it ok for me to still have my pool open this time of year while scooping out a million leaves/vacuuming/etc.? I am planning on closing this Saturday and am very overwhelmed with all the info. Do I really need Polyquat 60 if I close the pool at SLAM level? The water is currently 50 degrees and freezing temperatures are approaching. I also plan to open as early as humanly possible. I’m so afraid of having a green pool! Ahhhh! Thank you!

4C4DE5A6-6D89-48EF-AF0D-BAB8C9D248F8.jpeg71A873ED-4EFD-42AB-B213-7050A59A9F9B.jpeg

A782E02B-8DDB-4E1F-B99C-3447C42E1586.jpegCF0054B3-275C-4F84-8220-E15C6BB14FAC.jpeg

Last edited:
So the winds are picking up the past 2 days and yesterday I found myself using the net skimmer to get leaves out throughout the day several times. I also had to clean out the skimmer basket probably 4 times. Could I get away with using a leaf mesh cover for now before officially “closing” for the season? I’m trying to put it off until the first week of November and then opening as early as I can in the spring when temperatures aren’t freezing lol. Any advice would be appreciated. Winds are calm now but if they pick up I will definitely post a “before I skim out the leaves” photo for your amusement. :)

I plan on using a micro mesh winter cover which is why I’m staying open as long as I am and scooping leaves for hours each day so I can (hopefully) open up to clear water very early in the spring. I really hate having OCD.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m targeting a November 18 closing due to concrete curing. I’m Hoping for mild weather the next three weeks here in Ohio.
Oh my god it’s so bad today! I keep having to drain water out of the pool and it’s full of leaves. The winds are crazy today too :( Looks like I’ll start the closing process tomorrow when it’s sunny. Oh yeah and it’s going to be 32 degrees all night so I have to run my pump all night with that wind! ??‍♀️??‍♀️?

If it makes you feel better to use the poly 60 then do so. It will not hurt to use it. Some swear by it!

Kim:kim:
Today the highs are in the 40s (and the next few days) but sunny at least so I’m going to BEGIN the closing steps. Which should I do first....brush and vacuum or start the SLAM? We can worry about the Polyquat 60 later hahaha. I did purchase a bottle, though, in case I end up using it. Water is really cold and I’ll be fishing every single leaf out of it today (and omg there’s a TON from yesterday’s crazy winds!). I did read the Pool School article but I need someone to REALLY dumb it down step by step LOL!! I’m running the filter 24/7 because of the freezing temperatures at night and wind chill during the day. Ahhhh I’ll create a separate post but I’m just rambling because I’m nervous and I know you have a sense of humor! ????

Let’s just say my pool currently looks NOTHING like the above photos lol!! Zero algae but tons of leaves I’ll be cleaning out today. I put an extra dose of chlorine in yesterday because of the rains the past couple days.

LOL Rattle on all that you need to! :hug: I so hear you on the leaves!! My husband was cleaning them out and gave up as they were falling in as fast as he could get them out! He turned the pump on high to let the skimmer catch them for him!

So here is the link to closing your pool. Go down the list as it is written. It says to vacuum and clean the pool first then keep it at "shock" aka SLAM level for 24 hours. Now the hard part, we both know, will be the leaves :roll: during this 24 hours. Get them out as you can during the SLAM part and go from there.

Just work your way down the list and you will be fine!

• Love
Reactions: thefloatqueen
LOL Rattle on all that you need to! :hug: I so hear you on the leaves!! My husband was cleaning them out and gave up as they were falling in as fast as he could get them out! He turned the pump on high to let the skimmer catch them for him!

So here is the link to closing your pool. Go down the list as it is written. It says to vacuum and clean the pool first then keep it at "shock" aka SLAM level for 24 hours. Now the hard part, we both know, will be the leaves :roll: during this 24 hours. Get them out as you can during the SLAM part and go from there.

Just work your way down the list and you will be fine!

The problem with vacuuming is the leaves!! Lol I can still catch them as they come down but there’s always stems and little pieces that fall to the bottom so I was hoping I could vacuum last ?

The first year or two i was as gung ho as you. If i scooped every hour or two i would be able to overpower the fall. By fall #3 i realized that i no longer had a pool, i had a 35k gallon tea with exploded tea bags. Ive been covering it when the leaves start ever since. Its usually around oct 1st so i still get to look at the pool a little longer than most people by me.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.