Rogers, Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
I have an attached spa that I'd like to keep open during the winter but close my pool. I will have the pool covered but just used a solar cover for spa for when we want to use it.
What tips do you have to make this happen seamlessly?
I'll have the water circulating only to the spa and back since i have returns and drain. The spillover portion of my spa won't happen since i'm just recirculating the water.
Is there anything I'm missing that won't make this work fine over the winter?

I recently briefly considered the possibility of using the spa over the winter too, but then realized that doing so would require having water in the pump, filter and lines--which of course wouldn't work over the winter. Your weather is a bit warmer than ours on Long Island, but wouldn't the freezing still be an issue?

We do get freezing weather in arkansas
However my pool lines and skimmer would be clear I’d keep my pump running continuously through spa

However my pool lines and skimmer would be clear I’d keep my pump running continuously through spa
I guess it would be heated, and if it ran continuously wouldn't freeze. It would be pretty costly though, eh?

I had an uncle who grew oranges in Florida many years ago. During one of the freezes that destroyed a lot of the orange crop, he said his was saved to his running the irrigation system during the freeze. OK, it's a stretch, but... :)

What will you do if your pump fails during a freeze?

We have a few members in panic every year whose pump failed when the temperature fell below freezing. I suggest you have a spare pump and know how to swap it in.

Do you have backup power at your house?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.