Cmurra6745

Apr 13, 2021
Mass
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone as new england is windong its warm season down im getting in my head a list of things to do while closing . I know leveling to slam level and using algicide making sure chemistry is good prior to close is important .

I have the following equip for closing

1 sand filter with multi handle ( waste , backwash ect.)

Two lines returning to pump to one multivalve handle ( main skimmer and bottlm main drain one handle to switch back and forth between each drain or put 50/50)

1 skimmer box

5 return ports ( 2 on stairs and 3 spread out)

One main drain on bottom of deep end

So questions are .

1. Can i blow out all lines ( skimmer and return and deep end ) through pump with filter set on recirculate ? And then vaccum out skimmer basket

2 . If so i am aware a shop vac may not have enough power to blow through filter to push main drain to where i can water lock. Can i reverse this and blow through front of pump where drains first come in for leas resistance and higher air flow for main drain?

3 . Can i keep water level below skimmer but still have returns under water and just cap as i blow them out ?

4 . Do i just pour antifreeze in skimmer hole ? in returns ( which means i would have to bring below water ) ? Where do i out antifreeze alls ive seen pool company do is a gallon in skimmer ..

5. After all is blown out should i run pump to waste to get rid of wxcess water in filter or just pull all plugs out of it and let it drain and thats good enough?

Im sure ill have more questions but thank you in advance

Here are a couple of our reference pieces I hope will help, but feel free to ask additional questions here too as they arise-

Reactions: CCT73
1. Can i blow out all lines ( skimmer and return and deep end ) through pump with filter set on recirculate ? And then vaccum out skimmer basket

Post pics of your equipment pad.

You can blow out the skimmers blowing out the suction side of the pump.

You can't easily blow out returns through the filter. You need to open up a blow out point after the filter.

Do you have a heater?

2 . If so i am aware a shop vac may not have enough power to blow through filter to push main drain to where i can water lock.

You cannot get to the main drain by blowing out towards the filter. There is no connection on that path to the main drain.

Can i reverse this and blow through front of pump where drains first come in for leas resistance and higher air flow for main drain?

You blow out the main drain from the pump suction side. Same direction as the skimmer.

3 . Can i keep water level below skimmer but still have returns under water and just cap as i blow them out ?

Yes

4 . Do i just pour antifreeze in skimmer hole ?

Yes.

in returns ( which means i would have to bring below water ) ?

No.

Where do i out antifreeze alls ive seen pool company do is a gallon in skimmer ..

In skimmer.

5. After all is blown out should i run pump to waste to get rid of wxcess water in filter or just pull all plugs out of it and let it drain and thats good enough?

No! This question shows you do not understand about airlocking lines when blowing them out.

Once you blow out lines AFTER you turn off pump for the season. Then you blow out lines. Then you pull drain plugs from pump, filter, and heater.

Reactions: Cmurra6745
Post pics of your equipment pad.

You can blow out the skimmers blowing out the suction side of the pump.

You can't easily blow out returns through the filter. You need to open up a blow out point after the filter.

Do you have a heater?

You cannot get to the main drain by blowing out towards the filter. There is no connection on that path to the main drain.

You blow out the main drain from the pump suction side. Same direction as the skimmer.

Yes

Yes.

No.

In skimmer.

No! This question shows you do not understand about airlocking lines when blowing them out.

Once you blow out lines AFTER you turn off pump for the season. Then you blow out lines. Then you pull drain plugs from pump, filter, and heater.

Thanks so much! I will uploaf pick of pad very simple set up.. and no heater or in line chlorinator

If you're not comfortable and you screw up it'll cost to repair quite a bit more then paying someone to winterize for you. Make the investment this year by having them close for you and take notes watching every step of the way.
Ive seen them do it . Not complicated just wanted to make sure i was on the right track i have a very simple setup

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very simple setup to winterize so should not be an issue if you read and understand the winterizing process. Two suction lines and two return lines. You can blow out the main drain and skimmer by disconnecting that union just before your pump basket. Do the main drain first, air lock it by isolating valve to just the skimmer line, then blow out the skimmer line. Add some RV antifreeze in the skimmer then plug skimmer with a gizmo and your good to go. Add a cut up pool noodle to skimmer area for good measure for extra precaution. Plug pipe end by the union and then your suction side is done. You can winterize each return by taking apart those 2 valves (ones with orange handles) to expose the PVC pipes. Blow each line out until all water is removed. I add some antifreeze into each return at the pool - about 1 gal in each. Then I cap the return in the pool wall with a winterization plug. You can just put the valve back together at the pool pad and leave like that. Remove drain plug on filter and let it drain. I leave the plug in my pump basket until spring. You can bring your pump in for the winter if you like. Many people leave these outside too. If you do, make sure you remove the drain plugs from here to remove all the water. I usually remove my pump but when I used to leave it I would put the drain plugs back in and I'd put a fair amount of antifreeze in this for the winter too. Cover with a tarp or something to give it some protection if possible. Put your filter multiport valve on winterize setting if it has this. That's about it other than putting some sort of winter cover over the pool.

As others have said though, may be a good idea to watch someone do it this year and then you'll have the know how for next. It's not that difficult but it's important to get it right. Broken pipes are costly!! Good luck.

Very simple setup to winterize so should not be an issue if you read and understand the winterizing process. Two suction lines and two return lines. You can blow out the main drain and skimmer by disconnecting that union just before your pump basket. Do the main drain first, air lock it by isolating valve to just the skimmer line, then blow out the skimmer line. Add some RV antifreeze in the skimmer then plug skimmer with a gizmo and your good to go. Add a cut up pool noodle to skimmer area for good measure for extra precaution. Plug pipe end by the union and then your suction side is done. You can winterize each return by taking apart those 2 valves (ones with orange handles) to expose the PVC pipes. Blow each line out until all water is removed. I add some antifreeze into each return at the pool - about 1 gal in each. Then I cap the return in the pool wall with a winterization plug. You can just put the valve back together at the pool pad and leave like that. Remove drain plug on filter and let it drain. I leave the plug in my pump basket until spring. You can bring your pump in for the winter if you like. Many people leave these outside too. If you do, make sure you remove the drain plugs from here to remove all the water. I usually remove my pump but when I used to leave it I would put the drain plugs back in and I'd put a fair amount of antifreeze in this for the winter too. Cover with a tarp or something to give it some protection if possible. Put your filter multiport valve on winterize setting if it has this. That's about it other than putting some sort of winter cover over the pool.

As others have said though, may be a good idea to watch someone do it this year and then you'll have the know how for next. It's not that difficult but it's important to get it right. Broken pipes are costly!! Good luck.
Makes sense thank you ! I got a cyclone blower so should be easy

Reactions: Newdude and Edge70
Makes sense thank you ! I got a cyclone blower so should be easy
Having seen it once is half the battle. Having a beefy blower (one way or the other) is the other half. Having a simple system is the icing on the cake.

We will have staff available whatever day you go for it, if you need us. (y)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.