Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Today is the day I planned on closing due to below-freezing temperatures heading our way in the next couple days. I scooped the leaves out and my water is crystal clear (will test shortly but did test last night). Rain is stopping in the next hour (it hasn’t been too heavy but it rained all night!) so I’m wondering if this is a bad time to close? I searched all over the forum for posts about closing right after rain but cannot find anything. I adjusted pH and alkalinity several days ago before bringing my water to shock level per PoolMath so my FC is still too high to get an accurate pH reading. Am I going to have to postpone closing? This is the second time this has happened and I’m really getting fed up.

If it makes a difference, I am using a nice mesh winter cover and will be opening as soon as possible when water is still below 50 degrees. I just don’t want to open to a green pool. I already brushed the walls and floor several days ago, backwashed filter, and ran the pool vacuum then the stupid rain hits and I had to fish out more leaves. I cannot catch a break! :(

Anddddd it’s raining again and will be the next couple hours. Low is 29 tonight but tomorrow high is 52 and lows in lower 40s so that is our FOR SURE 100% closing day. Decided to not use the Polyquat 60 since the water is really cold, clear, and balanced and I’m closing so late. The FC level is too high to add it anyways.

Question is....should I bring it back up to SLAM level today or tomorrow prior to closing? No rain in the forecast after 11am this morning until Thursday. I’m on a time crunch!! Help!!

Rain doesn’t affect your water chemistry much.

Don’t raise the chlorine more. Add the Polyquat and close the pool when you can.

Rain doesn’t affect your water chemistry much.

Don’t raise the chlorine more. Add the Polyquat and close the pool when you can.
My FC tomorrow will likely be 15 if I do not add more chlorine (my SLAM target is 20 according to PoolMath). I’m not at half-SLAM and MUST close tomorrow. I didn’t think the Polyquat was that important? Sounds like it would just consume my FC and become ineffective at this point.

My FC tomorrow will likely be 15 if I do not add more chlorine (my SLAM target is 20 according to PoolMath). I’m not at half-SLAM and MUST close tomorrow.

That is fine. You are worrying too much about hitting exact numbers. Whatever chlorine you have in the pool is more then adequate.

I didn’t think the Polyquat was that important? Sounds like it would just consume my FC and become ineffective at this point.

It is not THAT important. If you have the PQ then you mighta s well add it. The PQ will last longer then the chlorine through the winter.

How_To_Use_Polyquat_60_in_Pool_Winterization

Buckman Labs says that the Polyquat that is broken down is still effective as an algaecide. Moderate to high levels of chlorine break down polyquat, but only turn it into shorter chain polymers that are still effective

That is fine. You are worrying too much about hitting exact numbers. Whatever chlorine you have in the pool is more then adequate.

It is not THAT important. If you have the PQ then you mighta s well add it. The PQ will last longer then the chlorine through the winter.

How_To_Use_Polyquat_60_in_Pool_Winterization

Buckman Labs says that the Polyquat that is broken down is still effective as an algaecide. Moderate to high levels of chlorine break down polyquat, but only turn it into shorter chain polymers that are still effective
Since I want to close tomorrow, would I just put the Polyquat in now and run the pump all night until we start draining tomorrow? I have to run my pump all night regardless because temperatures will be around 29 degrees Fahrenheit. How much would I need for a 7000 gallon pool? Sorry this is my first closing. I got the Poly 60 off Amazon and have not opened it yet so I can return it if I don’t use.

The link you posted contradicts what you told me lol. Plus it wants pH adjusted but my FC is so high I can’t get an accurate pH reading. I adjusted the alkalinity and pH prior to bringing my pool up to SLAM level 3 days ago. I don’t have time to wait for it to drift down. Tomorrow is the only day I can close.

Put the PQ 60 in now for closing tomorrow. Follow the dosing instructions on the bottle.

You have done all you can do to get a clean opening in the Spring. Hope for the best.

Reactions: thefloatqueen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Even with my pool at SLAM level? I’m closing tomorrow afternoon so it’s too late now since I’d have to let the pump run 12-24 hours after adding it and I’m on a time crunch. Must close tomorrow.

You can dump the PQ in 1 hour before closing and it will be better then no PQ at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.