Closing A Pool With Debris In It

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
I'll start off by conceding this thread is a bit presumptive as I haven't done troubleshooting yet. Hurricane Florence came through here this weekend (technically she's still here). My pool water is clear, but there are lots of leaves and small twigs in the bottom of it. The last time my pump ran was Thursday night. We lost power and it was off overnight Friday. My pool pump is on a circuit that is protected by a GFI outlet. The outlet is tripping. The wiring from the outlet to the pool pump timer is through conduit and is well wire so it is tough stuff. I suspect the problem is likely wet connections either at the box with the outlets for the pump and SWG, or the timer. It hasn't quit raining enough to troubleshoot yet. If the problem is actually the buried wire, is it an issue if I simply put the cover on the pool and clean it out in the spring? I was planning to put the cover on this weekend, except I didn't want the wind to wreck it so I figured I'd close the pool next week. I see about replacing the wire later this fall or early next year.

I wouldn't close knowing there is debris in the pool. That's just setting yourself up for work (and possibly stains) in the spring. Hang in there while Flo heads north and tend to business once the weather breaks. That would be your most ideal option. Also make sure the water temps are at 60 or below before closing to be sure organic growth is minimal.

Don’t do the DE thing, you certainly don’t want fiberglass waste in your filter.

Shut pump & hope it sinks for a waste vac.

If not this is one of the exceptional times I would floc it.

I suspect that this reply is in the wrong thread. Maybe it was meant for this thread cleaning up pool after repairs

How are you maintaining FC right now? That should be the #1 concern. Sure, debris in the pool is a PITA, but an algae bloom will be worse.

I agree with the others, clear the debris after the storm passes. You have to at least wait until then to close the pool anyway......

Good question. I should probably go dump some bleach in there. It won't be able to circulate but it will be better than nothing. When I tested the water yesterday it was still at a 3 for chlorine.

Yes, without a doubt get some chlorine in there. Stir the water by brushing. It’s important to stir up the debris to expose everything to the chlorine.

I would raise FC to 15-20% of CYA considering the debris and poor circulation. I’m sure stirring up the debris will consume some FC.

We had a break in the rain. I did some testing and it's the pump. The GFI trips when the pump is turned on. It's a 14 year old pump and it's been an expensive month for other reasons. My current plan is a lot of bleach dumped in. I get in there with the leaf rake and get out as much as I can, the pool gets closed this week and I get a new pump in the spring. We were pre-emptively going to replace the pump next spring anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.