Closing a pool correctly...

Jun 6, 2018
Parkersburg, WV
I did have a leak that was making my test results out of wack. I looked all over the pool a thousand times and couldn't find it until the other night my boyfriend found a little bit of water leaking out of the pump. He tightened it and now we are leak free. I think I will be needing to close the pool soon because it's almost winter time here. My test results the other night were:

FC- 5
CC - 0
PH 7.6
CYA - 40

Are there results good enough to close down the pool for the year? I'm asking because I'm not too good at closing the pool. I tried last year with a tarp and somehow part of it got blown away and the pool was black when I opened it up this year so I decide to buy a new pool I got a good cover this year so hoping all works well come next Spring....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I believe the key is waiting until the water temp drops below 60 degrees. I pulled my stairs out today and plan to put my leaf cover on and leave my pump and SWG running until the water temp drops, then will drop the water level, and move my equipment inside and place my winter cover. My water was 82 degrees today!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 14
I believe the key is waiting until the water temp drops below 60 degrees. I pulled my stairs out today and plan to put my leaf cover on and leave my pump and SWG running until the water temp drops, then will drop the water level, and move my equipment inside and place my winter cover. My water was 82 degrees today!

Well sadly my water never gets over 80 because of trees that block the sun. Hopefully those will be coming down before swimming season even starts next year lol I figure mine is around 70 so guess I need to wait a little longer huh? Need to also make sure all debris is out before closing too right?

Tamitha, I followed the method outlined in the article posted by @ajw22 and it was easy as pie. I had to SLAM my pool first because of algae, but when it was done I let the FC drift down to half SLAM then added poly 60 (because the pool wasn't 60 degrees), circulated it, then drained it down below the inlets, covered it, and called it a day.

Put the original skimmer cover on it, it’s optional to cover the hole you slip a finger in to remove.

I think we are talking about an AGP and I am not sure what the skimmer setup if.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.