Closing a newly installed/ filled pool

Jspot

Sep 23, 2020
Ontario Canada
I finally got my pool partially installed and filled enough to be winterized. Because its the end of the season I didn't install the skimmer, filter or pump etc. I basically have an above ground pool without the liner cut. Its 18×33. I have filled it with city water and am getting bulk water dropped off tomorrow. I'm in Ontario Canada so the temperatures are getting down to 12°C.

I can't find out much information on what I need to chemical wise to a freshly filled pool before putting on the winter cover.

Chlorine and stain and scale preventer?

Thanks for any info

Hello and congrats on the new pool project. For your closing question ... yes, some chemicals ideally should be added to prevent algae. However circulating the water a bit is best to ensure the chemicals get dispersed well. Without a pump, some might do a series of brushing and sweeping around the pool and/or drop a portable submersible pump into the water to move it around a bit. But please take a look at the link below as a starting point and let us know if you still have questions.

Should Install my skimmer and return this year? If cut the hole but leave it un plumbed?
That's really your call based on scheduling and time available. You can close either way. But with no main pump circulating, you'll have to make more of an effort to mix water manually and/or with the aid of a sump pump dropped into the pool to help move things around a bit.

FWIW, I too replaced my above ground pools liner last year right about this same date, and I filled it almost up to the skimmer also. I also converted it to SWCG this spring when I opened it up, so I just basically left the water as it was, without adding anything at all. I live in Maine, so the water was quite cold when filled, and I made sure to open it up, add salt, and get the SWG running as soon as the water got to 60 degrees this spring, and I had no issues whatsoever. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.