Closeup and Grid Cleaning

dpdeleon

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2016
NJ
Hi Everyone,
I'm a bit puzzled. For years, I've been using the same company to close my pool and they are on the pricey side. I decided to call another company to get pricing on closing my pool. No biggie. It's the usual stuff and I have not hot tubs etc. It's just a basic put the cover on, blow out the lines, and put the chemicals in. Here's where I was surprised: I asked about cleaning my grids (which my existing company does each year on closing). I have DE filter 48sf with 8 grids. During the season if the pressure builds up I will hose them down and add DE to the grids.

I was surprised to hear that the company I called doesn't clean the grids prior to closing. I was also told that cleaning with water damages the grids (which I have evidence of) and that when they do clean grids they take them for a couple of days and soak them in chemicals to remove residue because it's better for the grids.

Question: is it OK to leave the residue on the grids over the winter season here in the New Jersey where temperatures can go way down below freezing? The filter tank is a Stainless Steel American Products tank with Pentair grids.

Thanks.

dp,

Personally, I would clean the DE filter before storing it for the winter..

I have always just used water to clean my DE filter grids and can't think of a single reason how water would damage them.. I'm talking about water from a hose, not a pressure washer..

I do take the manifold assembly apart and clean each grid individually..

If they don't clean the grids, what else do they not do to make them cheaper???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
Thanks Jim,

I couldn't understand what I was being told. I've been cleaning my grids for years with hose water during the season. It didn't make sense to leave grids for the winter. It just seemed like a good way to ruin them for the following year as the DE and debris can turn into plaster of paris over the winter and who knows what'll happen when I reopen the pool.

So I'm down to hiring my existing company for $$$ and they clean the grids or a new company for $ and do the grids myself. There is a huge difference in the money. I suppose I can clean the grids myself once the pool is closed and at the same time watch what they do to close the pool so I can perhaps do it myself next year.

What to do. What to do.

regards,
denis

Reactions: Jimrahbe
So I don’t have a DE filter but I can promise you this...... if the filter handles XX psi of pool water then it can handle XX psi of hose water. The pool store wants to take the grids and tell you they are dissolving them in one of their magic potions, which of course is pricey. Magic isn’t cheap. Watch me make your wallet disappear !! Lol.

watching them close your pool is an awesome idea. It will give you your exact details for your specific setup. Maybe you think it will be something you can do, maybe not. But you’ll know for sure and that info is well worth the $300 (?) closing cost.

I can lower the water in my pool, put chemicals in and put the cover on. It's really a no brainer. I've been watching videos on pool closings and the only thing I have to see is how they blow out the lines because I was out there today and don't see where the air compressor is connected. Once I see that I'm good to go. Then its simply a matter of blowing out the skimmer line one by one (I have 2) and plugging them. My pool is really simple so there's not much to it and at least I'll be certain of how the pool is closed and opened.

This year I'll use the cheap company to close and watch what they do. I'll have to clean the grids but I'll save a bunch of money on the closing and the following year see if I can close on my own. Is the opening the reverse? Take the cover off, take the plugs out of the skimmers, fill the pool, add chemicals, and prime the pump?

Is the opening the reverse? Take the cover off, take the plugs out of the skimmers, fill the pool, add chemicals, and prime the pump?
Yes. Its exactly reverse. And much easier because water just fills the pipes for you which were a PITA to blowout.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.