Closed pool, suspicious water level

Jun 25, 2014
Rochester NY
Hi there,
Closed our 27' salt AGP a month ago. Drained water down to skimmer, covered with float, back pumped some water on top to reduce wind issues. Skimmer is open (overflow drain) but return is sealed.

Water level was and remains a few inches below the return. We have received a lot of rain; all of my neighbors have had to drain some off the top but not me. We have clay soil and there are spots close to the pool that have standing water; but there are spots away from the pool that also have standing water. Rain is such that with the clay I am not sure if the water is rain or pool water. Pool store referred me to a diver / leak fixer that may be done for the season (upstate NY).

I read the pool school leak article and and prepping for the bucket test

Questions:
  1. If water holds steady at the lower level should I wait until spring? Worried if there is a tear I may get ice between liner, insulation and metal sides.
  2. Thinking of uncovering for visual inspection near ladder. Pool area high and dry prior to closing but weather confuses things.
  3. Does food coloring wear off? Like should I dye bomb the pool to check ground water or will I have dyed water in June? Pool School article seemed to show dye used sparingly, not dye all water.
  4. Maybe water on the cover has pushed down, forcing water out the skimmer, then as water on the cover evaps it drops down below skimmer again (my favorite answer)
Thank you in advance. We are having a warm spell so I am thinking if I have to get in now is the time.

John

If your pool still has FC, which it should, test any suspect puddles. Rain puddles will be 0. Use the CYA squirted bottle (or a Turkey baster) to suck up the puddle with less mud (y)

You are correct in using a little dye. You only want enough to see that the psychedelic swirls are being pulled out in the vicinity of the leak. Or that they just float peacefully with no leak. It requires perfectly still water and an abundance of patience.

Wind can also do what you are describing.

Your cover does not always lay flat, especially with heavy wind. You have have it where the cover is an inch or two below the water surface at one end of the pool and 18" below the surface on the other end of the pool. I have a 27' pool as well, and I get this effect on the two sides of the pool that are separated by the lines holding my float in place. Rain water will "pile up" on one side of the cover, while the pool water underneath is higher on the other. Then when things level out, and the cover goes back to flat, the level of the pool water is below the skimmer.

I closed my pool with water half way up the skimmer. We had the same storm you had, and it dumped a LOT of water on my cover. After pumping it off when the storm was over, my water level is now down below my skimmer. So much for trying to keep my pool water.

Reactions: Newdude
+1 for evaporation. With the float keeping the cover off the water, it won’t stop evap like a solar cover would. Your above ground pool will warm up more during the day without the 55 degree ground helping to keep it cool, and the sun baking the exposed sides. The night time drops in air temps will have cold air with a warmer pool, leading to more evap than you’re used to.

Hopefully it’s not a leak.

I'm going with 4. I've seen this year after year after year with my above ground pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.