Closed pool last year with this stuff, this year I'm SWCG?

Mavven

Jul 21, 2021
NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hey all, I have researched some past threads about using this to close my above ground pool. I used this last year without a issue. Opened to a crystal clear pool in the early spring. However... I have read that this is not good for a pool that's saltwater? I have the CircuPool RJ45+. Honestly I don't feel like buying the "dummy cell" in order to use this.

Can I just shock it, drain below skimmer, add my river rat floats, throw cover over it and call it a season? I know there's a product called poly something. Again, I don't really feel like buying the dummy cell for the SWCG.

I know if I use this closing kit, to prevent algae or the poly stuff. I will have to take the cell off in order not to damage.

Basically what I'm asking, can I just shock the heck out of it? If so what should I bring my FC level to? 18,000 gallon round AGP

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220926-133625_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220926-133625_Photos.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220926-133634_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220926-133634_Photos.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220926-133640_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220926-133640_Photos.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 5
We don’t recommend special closing potions. The amount of Polyquat used for closing should have no effect on your swg cell. The reason to remove it & use a dummy is to prevent freeze damage to it over the winter. If you have an above ground pool & are removing the plumbing/ hoses anyway & plugging the returns etc. you can just remove the cell & leave the remaining plumbing open.
Here’s the closing guide 👇
I personally do not add polyquat at closing, I just make sure ph is mid 7’s, note all other parameters & raise fc to slam level for my cya FC/CYA Levels with liquid chlorine, then drain below the top return & skimmer, plug the returns & put the cover on then disconnect all the plumbing leaving the bottom of the skimmer open with a foam ball in there.
Use PoolMath to calculate additions.

We don’t recommend special closing potions. The amount of Polyquat used for closing should have no effect on your swg cell. The reason to remove it & use a dummy is to prevent freeze damage to it over the winter. If you have an above ground pool & are removing the plumbing/ hoses anyway & plugging the returns etc. you can just remove the cell & leave the remaining plumbing open.
Here’s the closing guide 👇
I personally do not add polyquat at closing, I just make sure ph is mid 7’s, note all other parameters & raise fc to slam level for my cya FC/CYA Levels with liquid chlorine, then drain below the top return & skimmer, plug the returns & put the cover on then disconnect all the plumbing leaving the bottom of the skimmer open with a foam ball in there.
Use PoolMath to calculate additions.
Thank you for the detailed response, greatly appreciated! I will say, this "potion" worked very well last year. With that being said, I'm not using it this year, as I'm not comfortable putting it in saltwater.

As I type this, I have my Dolphin cleaning the pool. Going to take the ladder out. I see some dirt/green on the bottom of the vinyl liner ladder protector.

To my surprise I just checked my FC and I'm at 12ppm! Yikes! Didn't realize I was still running my SWCG on low for 10 hours on the timer @25% output. Thought I changed it to 6 hours for now, before closing the pool. I guess I have a good head start with shocking it @ SLAM numbers 😅

Here's my main question, as this is my first year only using chlorine to close. When I SLAM it as per my CYA calculations. Can I cover it right up after I drain below skimmer and return? Or do I have to allow some of the chlorine to burn off to a lower number like 12ppm where I am now?

Again, thanks in advance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.