Close Pool with Solid Cover but leave freeze protect on (Hybrid closing)

goody222

Silver Supporter
Feb 6, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I’m curious what you think about a hybrid closing I’m thinking about:

For 2 winters (in Virginia), I’ve left the pool open all winter. However, I spend more time maintaining it in the winter than I do in the summer = Constantly scooping out twigs & decomposed leaves, empty skimmers, run cleaner, weekly FC/pH testing, draining to maintain level, clean filter, $$ for running the pump & chemicals. And we never go out back to even look at it (a common response from those who leave their pool open).

So last winter I fully closed it which was nice initially. I was forced to open it at the beginning of April since pool temps were >60F and I needed to get my SWG running. We don’t go in it until mid-May and the pollen was terrible up until that point which again resulted in lots of maintenance for 6 weeks when we weren’t even using it.

SO, for this winter coming up, what if I adjust chemistry as if I was closing it, adjust level to the arrow, set the pump not to run daily but powered on for freeze protect and then just put a solid cover on? This way, I could leave it closed through the pollen time of April/early May when the temp is above 60F increasing FC demand, but I could start my pump/SWG up and start analyzing the water. (I’d also check pool level periodically throughout the winter and keep the cover drained). Does anyone see a negative with my plan?

as long as your checking the pool you should be good to go.. I would take it to SLAM level a couple times during the winter like this..

SLAM level in NOV and cover> check and SLAM level in Jan> Check and SLAM level in Mar > turn on SWG when 55 to 60 degrees

Reactions: goody222
Thanks. Actually, I peeled back the cover several times during the winter to check FC. It was good to the beginning of April when I opened it at FC=5.0ppm. So maybe if I keep an eye on it again I will not have to SLAM. Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: cowboycasey
Couldn't you close your pool like normal and then in April/May time frame, open your pool by restarting the pump and SWG but leave your solid cover in place until you are ready to use your pool.

Couldn't you close your pool like normal and then in April/May time frame, open your pool by restarting the pump and SWG but leave your solid cover in place until you are ready to use your pool.
Going through the closing process, I lower level just below the skimmers & blow them out, dump in anti-freeze, plug them, blow out the returns and plug, remove SWG, etc. So its more work, plus when moving the cover around in places to get to the plugs, lots of debris may fall in like it did last year. Overall not a bad idea - I guess I'd rather save all the work of closing/opening for a few extra bucks of having the pump run if needed. Although now in another post I'm being told that running a pump in the winter greatly adds to wear and tear on the pump and its seals. Not sure what to do now.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.