Close before CYA dissolves?

xrabbi

Jun 22, 2020
NYC
I made the mistake of following package instructions on Home Depot CYA granules and sprinkled directly into pool. It's all collected at bottom of deep end and I'm worried about staining to our new (dark colored liner). I have the pump running continuously to help with distribution and dissolving but it's been half a day and the granules doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon ... I added the CYA in advance of closing for the winter. Assume it is better to wait until all granules dissolve before covering/closing? How long will it take and anything I can do to save the liner?

The colder water will probably slow down the dissolve time. You definitely don't want the acidic granules staying in one place or they can fade the liner. You might consider (if you can) trying to scoop some of it out with a net. Then you can place them in a sock to dissolve.

FYI, there is no reason to add stabilizer before closing and covering a pool.

If you have a pool cleaner then run it to vacuum up the stabilizer on the pool floor and close the pool.

I vacuumed it all up with suction so it's likely all in filter now. I thought stabilizer necessary to maintain chlorine throughout winter season.

Stabilizer CYA protects chlorine from the suns UV rays. No need for that if the pool is covered for the winter.

Clean your filter of the stabilizer when you close. Yiu don’t want the acid sitt in your filter for the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.