Clorox XtraBlue Mistake??

May 1, 2013
I have a 29k gallon saltwater pool in KC (concrete bottom/fiberglass sides). Took off the cover last night. Tested the water. No CYA read. PH around 7.4. CH 220. TA 60. I have a source for liquid chlorine so went there today but there pump wasn't working. The guy that was helping me said he just pours powdered shock from Lowes in his pool. I decided to try that to get things going. Went to Lowes and found one box of Clorox Shock XtraBlue. Came home and dumped all 6lbs in the pool. Knew better but brain was in the clouds. I had also filled two socks with stabilizer and had them placed in front of the returns. Upon reading that the XtraBlue raises CYA, I removed the half empty socks and set aside until I can get a good CYA reading. I will go to WalMart and get some bleach to continue my opening process, but want to know what kind of corrections I need to make after adding these 6lbs of XtraBlue? Can I slap my hand and not do it again or do I need remove that copper I added and am I potentially at risk of having adding too much CYA? Thanks much!

I’m not the math/chemistry expert but I think that’s just dichlor. Pool math says 6lbs of dichlor will raise CYA by 13. So I think you should be fine, will definitely need some extra from the socks.
5EE076DE-B9FB-41CC-BAE5-148DF4596630.jpeg

I’m not the math/chemistry expert but I think that’s just dichlor. Pool math says 6lbs of dichlor will raise CYA by 13. So I think you should be fine, will definitely need some extra from the socks.
View attachment 335297

I hadn't seen this format of Pool Math. I always use the web version but just downloaded the app. Thanks. I tested CYA again and it is around 90 right now. Don't know how much of this I can attribute to the XtraBlue and how much from the stabilizer in the socks but it appears to have more than enough now. I will be doing some backwashing and we are in a rainy stretch right now, so I am hoping it can correct itself without much of a deliberate water exchange. Thank you.

Reactions: DLip
According to the MSDS that I could find it contains Copper Citrate

I'm going to hope that if you don't have another brain fert you should be fine on the copper that it dumped into your water. The concentration should be relatively low with just one dosing.

Good to know. Yeah, I knew better. Work got in the way of my private life and that's no way anyone should live!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.