Clorox vs Liquid Chlorine

May 19, 2015
Burbank, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm really confused why anyone would buy clorox.

Clorox at our local costco is a 3 pack (121 OZ) for $10. Meaning $3.33 per unit.
Sodium Hypochlorite: 6.05%
(Yields 5.75% available Chlorine)
AB-Chem (Brand) Our local pool store sells 1 Gallon (128 OZ) for $3.70.
Sodium Hypochlorite: 12.5%
(Yields 11.9% available Chlorine)

Are the prices way different in other areas around the USA? I'm in California
Is my local pool store super cheap compared to other places?

Read the Clorox bleach label carefully. It probably says it contains Cloromax Technology. Those are polymers that are not suitable for pools or spas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arizonarob
I'm glad I clicked on this post; didn't know about the Clorox brand; wasn't always this way, but it's usually more expensive than the store brand anyway, but I have bought Clorox previously when the store was out of store brand regular ( you have to use plain bleach; no easy pour or scented, etc).

Two years ago, one could get the store brands or Clorox brand; chiefly Dollar General or Walmart's Great Value brands and it had been reduced to 121 oz from years before where they used to be full gallins, but it had been concentrated higher, up to 8.25%. So back then, you got more chlorine even though the jugs were smaller. So for several years there, concentration had been increased and the label stated concentrated where in the old days, it was just bleach. Beginning last year though, even though the labels still state concentrated, they've all gone back down to 6%, and they're still 121 oz. So it's a game they're playing to give us less chlorine for our dollar.usi g trickery.

Anyway, where I live most pool stores don't sell liquid chlorine; only cal hypo or tri chlor or dichlor (all solids). My only other options are bleach at stores or 10% at Ollies Warehouse. But Ollies can be old stuff or out of stock. You never know till you get there and they sell it only for a few minths. People where I live basically don't know about TFP or the reasons why we should use non stabilized chlorine sources that also don't add calcium. It's not like many people are running in to Ollies to buy up liquid 10% full gallons for $2.99. People here don't know that's a deal. Six percent liquid is a hassle and more expensive. Lot's of jugs, but sometimes my only choice for sodium hypochlorite is 6% bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyone in the Northeast should be buying chlorine at Ocean State Job Lot they have been selling 12.5% for 2.99 a gallon all season long for the last 4 or 5 years running. It's never more than a month or two old.

I buy liquid chorline 12.5% (128 fl oz) from the pool store (they call it shock lol) I bought hopefully a season's worth a month or so ago (25% off sale). I paid $4.69/jug. The cheapest I've found bleach (which is less than half as "strong" 6% was around $3/jug (i think it may even be 121 fl oz too).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.