Clorox regular liquid bleach..... Concentrated or “Performance”??

thefloatqueen

Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I’m looking in the store and there’s regular Clorox bleach (no scent, not the “splashless” stuff, just regular) but I’m seeing two kinds of regular.... concentrated and performance. Both are 6% (all I can find) but I don’t know which one to buy! I’m assuming concentrated but I figured I would ask the experts. Thank you in advance! :)

All Clorox bleach to my knowledge has Cloromax additive. That is not suitable for use in pools.

As far as your question, most likely marketing hogwash.

Walmart has GV plain bleach which is 6%. They also carry Pool Essentials liquid chlorine in the pool section, but that gets scarce towards the end of summer.
Home Depot and Lowes also carry liquid chlorine.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
The cheaper bleach is usually the better option. No brand name, just bleach. Check the % on the bottle. The Dollar Tree bleach I found was not 6% (can't remember what it was).

Do make sure it's fresh though. I brought home some small bottles of the "best value" cheap bleach because Safeway only had 4 small bottles of that and a bazillion different Chlorox types, and nothing else was open that time of night. I put in what I knew I needed, tested and little or nothing had happened. Did again, still no good. Finally put my nose up to the bottle and it smelled like almost nothing. Clearly it had been on the shelf far too long. Duh!

I am confused too. Last year was my first year at this site and I used Chlorox bleach all year last year. What gives? I too am wondering now what bleach I am supposed to use!
In the last year, Clorox added polymers to their bleach. They have also specifically stated that it is not recommended for pools. Switch to generic or the higher strength pool specific stuff.

Reactions: Tena
I’m gonna rip my hair out with this bleach thing so do I just stick to Dy-chlor? Also, no one gave me any feedback on the “In The Swim” brand instant liquid chlorine. Has anyone tried it? Thank you all for your advice!!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Menards is super close too. The word “concentrated” is what is throwing me off. Does this matter as long as it is at least 6%, odorless, and splash-free? I’m just trying to avoid making another bleach thread in the near future lol. Dy-chlor makes me a little more nervous when I use it and definitely prefer liquid (bleach) chlorine.

Does this matter as long as it is at least 6%, odorless, and splash-free?
You don’t want splash-free. That’s some other additive that shouldn’t go in your pool. I don’t think I’ve ever seen odorless. That’s probably something else evil.

I personally avoid the laundry aisle and get 10% LC, which is sold in pool stores, hardware stores, and grocery stores in my area. Where I live, we run our pools year-round, so even Safeway carries 10% LC. The higher the percentage, the fewer jugs to lug.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.