Bronze Supporter
Mar 26, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was going to buy some Clorox from Costco this week. I noticed that the percentage of sodium hypochlorite is listed at 6.05 but the effective yield is 5.75. Is this something new nationwide?20170822_141118.jpg20170822_141102.jpg

Apparently they are marking this Cloromax Technology. We don't want Cloromax. We just want plain bleach at 8.25%. Hope they are not discontinuing what we want. For me I'll just keep buying Walmart Great Value plain bleach.

Is 6.05% what you always buy?

Effective chlorine (measured as chlorine gas), also known as % available chlorine) will always be lower than % hypochlorite. Effective chlorine let's you compare different forms of chlorinating compounds (liquid and powder) by standardizing to % available chlorine.

Is 6.05% what you always buy?

Effective chlorine (measured as chlorine gas), also known as % available chlorine) will always be lower than % hypochlorite. Effective chlorine let's you compare different forms of chlorinating compounds (liquid and powder) by standardizing to % available chlorine.

No, I always buy the plain 8.3% clorox bleach. I didn't know this type of bleach contained additional polymers either. I didn't buy this bleach while I was there. They lowered the available chlorine and jacked the prices up as well.

So I looked at my Costco Clorox last night and mine was the Cloromax Technology so off to Wally World this morning (even at 6:30 in the morning it's an adventure, no good pictures though) to grab a few bottles. Looked at the Splashless bottles and there are no contents listed showing percentages, says what is in the bottle though. Ended up finding the Great Value 116 oz. with 8.25% so will be using this from now on, less expensive by about $.75 a bottle over the Clorox.

Do not buy 'Splashless' bleach! You will have a foamy mess in your pool!

All Walmart Great Value Bleach I have bought is in 121 oz bottles. 8.25% sodium hypochlorite.

skydude,

Just noticed you are in Phoenix.

I avoid the "membership" stores and Wally World too. I buy 10% Pool Chlorine (don't ask for bleach) at Home Depot in 2-gallon packs for $6.86. I sneak in and out through the garden entrance and rarely have an issue getting fresh stock (date codes are year, followed by day-of-the year). Last batch I got was 17229 (Aug 17th 2017) so fresh enough for me. I drive past two stores each day both to and from work so very convenient as well.

HDX 1 Gal. Pool-Care Chlorinating Liquid (2-Pack)-20128HDX - The Home Depot

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Costco down here has the same stuff, 6.05% Cloromax "Technology". No idea how long they've been stocking that as I have an SWG and rarely, if ever, buy bleach. The last bleach bottle I bought was from Target (Target brand) and it was 8.25%. The Regular Clorox (no Cloromax) in the supermarkets is all 6.05%.

If I ever needed LC, I'd just get a 4-up refillable batch from my local pool shop as they sell 12.5% for about $3.75 per gallon (true 128 fl. oz gallon).

I'm also in Phoenix. I go to an independent pool store that sells reusable cases of Hasa Chlorine (min 12%). The stuff is always fresh and is extremely potent. I used to buy the stuff at Home Depot and was surprised how much stronger the Hasa stuff is. Plus the bottles are reusable and they also sell acid which even at the same percentage is stronger than the 31% I was buying from Home Depot.

If you are interested in trying the Hasa stuff, just go to their website to see what pool shops carry their cases.

Happy sanitizing.

I go to an independent pool store that sells reusable cases of Hasa Chlorine (min 12%).
If you are interested in trying the Hasa stuff, just go to their website to see what pool shops carry their cases.
Happy sanitizing.

Thanks for this information. I went to the site and found a dealer a few miles away from me.
I called them and they sell 4 gallons of 17% for $16.99 and they are returnable jugs. If my calculations are correct that is a savings of 2 cents per 1ppm FC for my pool and no more stuffing plastic jugs into my recycle bin. :cheers:

Thanks for this information. I went to the site and found a dealer a few miles away from me.
I called them and they sell 4 gallons of 17% for $16.99 and they are returnable jugs. If my calculations are correct that is a savings of 2 cents per 1ppm FC for my pool and no more stuffing plastic jugs into my recycle bin. :cheers:

Be very careful storing and opening those. Anything over 15% can emit low levels of chlorine gas. It's not toxic but you will definitely smell it. Store it outdoors or else it will corrode metals.

Nice find. Much better to use recycle jugs.

Thanks. I'm aware of the HASA dealers around me but none are convenient to my usual routes these days. When I compared the cost per sanitation unit (taking into consideration the concentration percentages) Home Depot is still the better value unless I buy 8-12 gallons per visit from the HASA dealer during a seasonal special. That is way too much for me to have around the house stored in the heat. I recycle the jugs and cartons but I know that's not as good as reusing them.

The pool store near me where I used to by LC has become a vape shop. :(

Thanks for all the information everyone! Costco used to stock the standard Clorox bleach until my last visit. Since I am in Costco once a week this was easy for me.

I've noticed that some of the Frys have had liquid chlorine on sale 2 gallons for 5.00$. Fresh within the last month as well. Those are good deals when you can find them.

I think I will go to AM Corson in the future for the 12.5% HASA chlorine. I'll have to store the chlorine in the garage however so I am glad you haven't had any outgassing issues spoonman!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.