Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello TFP,

So I think I have a clogged vacuum port. For the suction side I have 2 skimmers, 1 vacuum port, and a main drain (technically 2?). I noticed my Poolvergnuegen vacuum wasn't running so I started looking into it, here is what I've done so far.

• Checked pool hoses for debris, non found.
  • Checked for debris in the vacuum , non found.
  • Verified the vacuum moves freely, looks good.
  • I then checked to make sure all the valves were in the correct position, every looked good.
  • I attempted to turn off all valves except for the vacuum port, and the pressure on the filter dropped and the pipes started making tons of scary sounds.
I have a Hayward W560 leaf canister so I'm not sure how debris got caught in the line?

I've read a bit about this on TFP and elsewhere and I know the recommendation is to use a hose with a rag or with a water bladder/blaster but before I do that I found this video. He mentioned while the pump is priming you can turn the valve to the clogged port on and off a couple times to see if it dislodges the debris. My question: Is that safe, I don't want to cut off all suction/flow from the suction side of the pump?

If I can't use the method in the video of turning the valve on/off, is my next best bet using a garden hose with a rag or a bladder/blaster?

Thanks!

The "on & off" method with the valve is simply a way to try and create movement within the line to help push or pull whatever got stuck. As long as you don't do it too long or leave the pump running dry without water it can't hurt to try a couple times. But it sounds like closing all the valves (except the plugged one) and pushing water from the pump backwards to the pool (vacuum port) may be the way to go. Let us know what you find.

I just tried the "on & off" method again while the pump was priming, It didn't fix the problem. However when I did it while it was priming it wasn't as noisy when it wasn't getting flow.

Off to the hardware store to get one of those drain bladders.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Well, tried with the drain bladder from the pump to the pool and some stuff came out, but it still seems to be clogged :/

I saw someone else online use a wet-vac to try and suck stuff out, I suppose I'll try that next unless someone else has any suggestions?

Wet/Dry vac will not cut it, been there and done that. Tried just about everything suggested here with no joy, what did clear it was screwing a fitting into the clogged line and use higher pressure.

interesting. I'm sure I could make a PVC pipe that would fit onto the vacuum port, but how did you get the higher pressure?

Just to update, I tried the bladder going from the pool towards to pump and that didn't work either. Actually, when I did that the hose + bladder actually shot out of the pipe and got water everywhere. I talked to a pool guy that worked on my pool previously and he said he wouldn't recommend using the hose + bladder towards the equipment as it can cause issues?

Anyway, I about gave up and called the home warranty company, we'll see what they do, hopefully they just come with come Co2 and are able to blast it out easily.

In the mean time I'm lucky enough that I have 2 skimmers, so I just put the vacuum into 1 of the skimmers. I did go to the pool store because I thought you needed an adapter to hook up the vacuum hose to the skimmer, but the guy at the store said the hose should just slide into the pipe; it did, but it isn't very secure. Is that normal or should I look for an adapter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bummer...Did you see this thread? Skimmer line clogged

The vacuum port fitting is probably threaded into the in-wall plumbing. The hose itself just a slips into the fitting. It may look something like this...

I did not see that thread but that looks like a nice thing to add to the system.

That should work, just slowly increase the pressure from you compressor. I used a low pressure scuba tank (2600psi) to clear mine, it cleared at about 150 psi.

Only thing I worry about with that method is sending too high of PSI and blowing something up. Aren't the PVC pipes rated for much lower than 150 PSI?

Well the home warranty company got here and used one of these "Hydraulic Drain Flusher" and with a lot of work a giant nest came out.

Anyone know if what they used was better than the rubber drain bladders you buy at home depot?

Attachments

• clog_nest.jpg
    clog_nest.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 14
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.