Clogged skimmer pipe

Feb 8, 2018
NY
Returns appear to be flowing fine, but skimmer doesn't have typical flow/movement. After removing the basket and putting my hand down basket area I felt into one of the "holes" not sure which line it serves, but it appears to be completely clogged with organic matter. I have a large number of catkins and pollen falling into my pool and have had to clean the main pump and backwash several times already since opening the pool three weeks ago. I think I need to clean this skimmer line, but not sure how.

You could try to push water backwards from the pump back to the pool. Use a graden hose and wrap it with a rag at the pump inlet, or use a product like a water bladder/blaster.
full

Reactions: michelleca
If there are two holes in the skimmer, one has to go to the pump. You should feel suction when you stick you hand down in it. The second hole may go to an equalizer as shown -- nothing more than a hole in the side of the pool, or to the main drain at the bottom of the pool, or it might be plugged intentionally.

Flush it out with a garden hose. If it's capped/plugged, you'll empty it fast and be able to see the bottom. If it's an equalizer, you'll see stuff shooting out into the pool. If it's the main drain, you may see something erupting out of the drain grate.

If the water is flowing fine out the returns, the pump has to be drawing water from somewhere.most likely the skimmer. Unless someone has turned valves somewhere and the main drain is plumbed to a separate pipe and it's providing the water.

A lot of times when you don't see much action in the skimmer it's because the weir (flapper) is missing or the water level in the pool is too high.

If hose flushing doesn't help, you'll need to post some pictures of your equipm,ent area so we can see the plumbing layout.

If there are two holes in the skimmer, one has to go to the pump. You should feel suction when you stick you hand down in it. The second hole may go to an equalizer as shown -- nothing more than a hole in the side of the pool, or to the main drain at the bottom of the pool, or it might be plugged intentionally.

Flush it out with a garden hose. If it's capped/plugged, you'll empty it fast and be able to see the bottom.

It was in fact plugged and I sprayed it with the garden hose and cleared the debris. One of the skimmer flappers was wedged semi-closed by debris as well, so I cleared that out. Flow appears better now! Thank you!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.