Clearing water before liner replacement

joelachr

Gold Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
Grand Rapids, MI
We've decided to have our leaking 20-year old liner replaced. The company doing the replacement needs clear water to measure for the new liner. The person I normally have open the pool can't get us into the schedule anytime soon because I procrastinated.

The pool sat closed all last year and has a lot of leaves and debris in it. Is it a bad idea to use the pool pump & filter to help clear that debris out? I can't add enough water to reach the skimmer because it'll all just drain out the liner rip anyway. I've never opened the pool myself so I don't want to do something wrong and screw up the equipment.

Should I just get to work clearing the leaves out manually and dump a bunch of chlorine in to clear up the water?

Welcome to TFP.

Should I just get to work clearing the leaves out manually and dump a bunch of chlorine in to clear up the water?

Yes, you have to clean out the junk in the pool by hand. I don't think the pump and filter will be of help and you risk damaging it.

Pool companies have standalone vacuuming rigs that can clean up a pool.

What is the water level in the pool?

Post pics of your situation.

Reactions: joelachr
Thanks for the help so far. I’ve put in quite a lot of liquid chlorine & flocculant. Attached photos show what it currently looks like.
1533BDAE-4172-41F2-8964-3DD761DDAE00.jpeg8971D397-D990-4376-B8DC-DACD87E88924.jpeg
I tested the water before adding 2 more gallons of 10% liquid chlorine. The color to me looked like 2-4 for the chlorine but could’ve been 3-6 shade. The ph was the 6.8 shade.
Would algaecide be a good idea? Shock powder? I’ve used the hth green to blue in the past. Would that be worthwhile in this case?

Attachments

• 5EC0B273-B00E-4DFE-B360-3262BCDCFDA3.jpeg
    5EC0B273-B00E-4DFE-B360-3262BCDCFDA3.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 19
More liquid chlorine. Lots more. That liner is trash anyway so high level of chlorine and low pH does not matter. You should get it to over 10 ppm of FC and the chlorine test be a glowing dark yellow.

Algaecide does not fix alga problems once they occur. Shock is just low does of chlorine.

Reactions: joelachr
I've got the chlorine up and the test is a very dark yellow/orange. The pool is still too hazy to see the bottom. I've used two 32oz bottles of hth flocculant already but that was before I had the chlorine levels up this high. Do I need to add more now to clear the haze? I'm concerned about adding too much. Is it time to call in a professional to get this cleared up?

Do you know how high the water table is? Why can't your liner guy just empty the pool? Usually you don't empty a liner pool because you are worried the groundwater will float the liner. In your case the liner is shot anyway. A sump pump would work to empty the pool if they can't do it.

Do you know how high the water table is? Why can't your liner guy just empty the pool? Usually you don't empty a liner pool because you are worried the groundwater will float the liner. In your case the liner is shot anyway. A sump pump would work to empty the pool if they can't do it.
Our lot is on a hill and higher than most of the neighbors and the pool is also higher than the other half of our yard. I don't think groundwater would be a problem but that's just a guess on my part. I found out during my conversations with the company replacing the liner that we have a Buster Crabbe pool and the walls use wood panels. I guess my concern is leaving the pool empty for the 3-4 weeks between measuring and installing might cause problems with those wood walls.

You're draining anyway. So, it really doesn't matter how much you use. Try another dose of floc or drop out. If that doesn't work, it's probably time to call for assistance.
I'll grab another bottle and try that before I throw in the towel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I understand your concern. I'm not familiar with your style of pool so take everything I say with a grain of salt. My sides are metal so my pool standing empty during our liner change last year was not as much of a concern for me.

If it doesn't clear up, drain, measure and immediately partially refill if you are concerned. But the amount of water currently in it isn't doing anything to hold the walls up vertically. It's only keeping the floor material in place, which will be reworked during liner replacement anyway.

IMG_9666.jpg IMG_9669.jpg

Finally got it clear enough to see the bottom & they're hopefully coming out today to measure. That took a lot more chlorine & floc than I was expecting. A wet/dry vac with the pool vac hoses and a little duct tape got the dropped muck outta the bottom. I appreciate all the help & advice, thanks!

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.