Clear water, still losing FC?

Aug 19, 2018
PA
Hi All! So our pool has been clear since a few days after we opened it. This is our first full season using the pool, we did open last year for about a month when we bought the house in August but had no idea what we were doing and it ended up raining most of September. When we closed it, we did not put any winterizing chemicals and it certainly wasn’t balanced!

This year we started off at the pool store, spend a million dollars and got it clear, but then I decided to get back into the TFP info as I had started reading this stuff last year.

Since our chlorine was not maintaining at all I decided we needed to SLAM.

I started two days ago, with clear water. PH 7.4, FC 0, CC 0, CYA 10. I added CYA and began slamming with bleach. Last night I did the OCLT test. Last night CYA was 35, FC was 17 (goal was 14). This morning FC was 11. Is it normal to lose so much with such clear water? I’ll take a picture when I go test the level next.

No, it is not normal to lose 6 FC overnight.

Normal consumption is 2-4 in 24 hours, and that includes many hours of daylight.

Since it isn't sunlight, you've still got something in there eating your chlorine. Time to check behind lights and inside ladders and behind steps.

No light, steps are plaster...we do have a ladder, I can have my husband pool it out later to see if there is anything there!
Good.

Check out the pictures in

No, it is not normal to lose 6 FC overnight.

Normal consumption is 2-4 in 24 hours, and that includes many hours of daylight.

Since it isn't sunlight, you've still got something in there eating your chlorine. Time to check behind lights and inside ladders and behind steps.
I am no expert for sure, but this sounds so so much like my pool in reno. We did it all, SLAM, scrub out everything light fixtures, drain, EVERYTHING. Then one of the TFP experts said it might be ammonia. I got an ammonia kit from the pet store and sure enough way high. Once I treated for ammonia everything was great. Waddaya think?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.