Clear water, but a musty smell

gio5

Jun 12, 2015
Springfield/ MO
Moved from here.
I am experiencing the same musty smell on our hair, towels and swimsuits. Water is clear, we do get dirt on the bottom and vacuum weekly but it’s only small dirt trails that accumulate.

My test numbers:
FC: 4
CC: 0
Ph: 7.4
TA: 50
CH: 75
CYA: 30

Adding a gallon of 10% liquid bleach daily to maintain chlorine or more if needed based on heat, sun, and rain received or if testing with TF100 test quit indicates more is needed. It has been a very rainy summer so far but the weather has been dry for at least 3 days now. The pool looks and feels great but we don’t come out smelling great just like old towels :(.

I worked in the drinking water industry for years and a musty odor is typically caused by the compound MIB (2-methylisoborneol, for those interested) or geosmin (usually a more earthy/dirt odor). It is associated with blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) that produce it. It is typically noticed either during an algae bloom, or following a bloom as the compound is released from dead/dying algae.

A couple of things occur to me: 1) you may be brewing some black algae (it is a cyanobacteria), 2) if you filled your pool recently from tap water, the compound may have come in with it. If that is the case, vigorous aeration should off gas the compound.

• Love
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
I have passed the OCLT and I do think the musty smell has diminished, I have also turned the jets up to ripple and break the surface of the water a little. i am curious if you think I’m losing too much chlorine.
7/1 6:30 am FC 5
Added 128 oz 10% bleach
7/1 8:30 pm FC 5
7/2 6:30 am FC 5
Added 128oz 10% bleach
7/2 7:00 pm FC 5.5 CC .5

My ph has risen to about 7.5

I am using pool essentials bleach from Wal Mart it is stored in the store, and inside the back part of my garage which stays relatively cool since it’s an interior wall.

I’m ok with 1 gallon a day just wanted to see if this seems right.

Prior to this week I was skipping a day and adding 2 gallons at once so I’m assuming adding it daily is better and will be more likely to keep algae away.

Thanks for the input

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.