Clear Pool with High Nitrates & high Chlorine consumption

Hi Dave,

I've not been able to retain chlorine. On two separate occasions, I added 25 and 30 gallons of LC trying to break what the pool store called "chlorine lock" After each time my FC and CC went to zero within 24 hours or sooner. The pool store then did a Nitrate strip test and said I was high (I don't for sure recall the number) and said I needed to drain at least a 1/3 of my pool which I did last Sunday. A couple days later I added another 12 gallons of their chlorine shock with the same result. They then told me I would need to replace most or all of my pool water with outside nitrate free water which would cost me $1500.00 to solve the problem. That's when I found this forum and started the SLAM. So far I've spent about $500.00 in LC and seem to still loose everything when the sun comes up.

Working on getting the app downloaded. Haven't purchased an app in a long time. I then need to add all my entries

In the meantime I just tested a 1/2 hour ago and have zero FC and zero CC. I'm kind of in disbelief. Do I add the 3 gallons more of LC or wait to add it later tonight when It seems to stay in the pool. I'm 12 gallons in so far. Sorry guys. Really struggling to figure it out. The water looks great and CYA is 30.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nothing stands out.

The only thing that does is your FC loss is during the day, not overnight. That tells me CYA ---- Just be sure your testing is good.

Daytime loss is not a real indicator during a SLAM. You pass the three indicators.

I would like some other folks to chime in, but I do not understand what is occurring unless the lower CYA is just not shielding your chlorine.

Reactions: batesjer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.