Clear Pool with High Nitrates & high Chlorine consumption

Raise your FC to SLAM Level for CYA of 40 -- that is 16 ppm FC. Maintain that today and do a OCLT tonight at that FC level.

2 different pool stores couldn't figure out my "nitrate problem".
If anyone tells you that nitrates somehow react with chlorine, ask them how.

Nitrogen has two electron shells. One shell has two electrons and the outer “Valence” shell can have up to 8 electrons. The nitrogen atom has 7 protons. So, the oxidation state is determined by how many total electrons there are.

The atom only gains or loses electrons from the outer shell. If the outer shell is full with 8 electrons, the oxidation state is -8 + -2 + 7 = -3. This is the case with ammonia.

If the outer shell is empty, the oxidation state is 0 + -2 + 7 = +5. In nitrate, the outer shell is empty and there are no electrons for chlorine to take. So, chlorine cannot react with nitrate.

In addition, even if chlorine could react with nitrate (which it can’t), the nitrate would eventually get depleted. This is what happens with ammonia where the chlorine does react with the ammonia, but the ammonia gets depleted by the reaction and it eventually goes to zero.

Nitrates and phosphates can make the water more reactive to algae. So, you have to be vigilant about maintaining the chlorine at the proper level at all time. As long as you do this, you should be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
3 or 4 times per day.

That was a significant drop. Did you brush, or clean out something, like a light niche?

Really sorry to keep bugging everyone. Seem to be stuck on my SLAM. Didn't loose any FC overnight from my lat add at 7:30 PM (added LC 1 Gal, 1 Cup). This morning at 6:00 AM results were:
FC = 14 CC = .5

2nd test today: 10:15 AM

FC = 8 CC = .5 maybe 1
Lost 6 PPM in 4 hours. Similar to yesterday where I went from 12 to 1 in about 6 hours.

So far in total I've added about 13 gallons of LC. Pool is clear and sparkling. CYA at 40. Getting low on LC. Really hot today around 96. Wondering how much more I might need and if I'm missing something. Thanks for any words or wisdom out there.

So you have passed the OCLT, CC is passed, and clear water. No debris in the pool (dead algae)?

I guess I did. I wasn't even thinking about it due to how much FC I lost yesterday. I'm not entirely confident the CC as .5 but I think so. Worst case it was 1. The pool looks really clean no debris except a couple of little pockets of dirt that are in my elevated hot tub that I cant easily get to.

It seems to me you are passing all three criteria for a successful SLAM.

Double check your CYA level. The rapid FC loss during the day implies a low CYA.

Just to verify... last night, about 30 minutes after your last addition at 7:30pm, what was your FC test reading?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.