Cleaning out threads of vacuum wall inlet

Mar 10, 2016
San Diego
So my pool has a vacuum inlet, 1.5" NPT I'm assuming. Hayward vac-lock doesn't catch. It'll go about 2-3 turns then go off the rails and get pushed out. Taking a close look, it seems like it's calcified pretty bad. Previous pool person didn't take good care as there was calcification all along the walls around the entire pool, and where the spa spills into the pool, a thick line of it. After 6 years of better maintained pH, a lot of it is actually gone or thinned out. But the ones in the threads remain.

Other than buying a $50 tap set (if that is even a good idea) any ideas on how to clean the threads? Metal brush and even a pick hasn't worked. Stuff is rock solid. SoCal water.

I'm sorry I don't have a clue as to what to tell you to do to clean out the pipe. Perhaps this article will be of some use and give you help?

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: jdang307 and KJB1
So my pool has a vacuum inlet, 1.5" NPT I'm assuming. Hayward vac-lock doesn't catch. It'll go about 2-3 turns then go off the rails and get pushed out. Taking a close look, it seems like it's calcified pretty bad. Previous pool person didn't take good care as there was calcification all along the walls around the entire pool, and where the spa spills into the pool, a thick line of it. After 6 years of better maintained pH, a lot of it is actually gone or thinned out. But the ones in the threads remain.

Other than buying a $50 tap set (if that is even a good idea) any ideas on how to clean the threads? Metal brush and even a pick hasn't worked. Stuff is rock solid. SoCal water.
I would get a thread chaser rather than a tap. Less change of ruining it completely. I can’t think of another option when submerged.

Reactions: jdang307
My vacuum port is exactly in the same situation. The Hayward vac-lock turns about 1.5 rotations before it gets stuck due to extreme calcification of the pvc threads at the bottom. For now I just have it the way it is but I, too, would love to clean out the threads and screw in the vac-lock all the way in.

Attachments

• 75391289-3F44-4B86-A105-927758521A55.jpeg
    75391289-3F44-4B86-A105-927758521A55.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.