Cleaning out dirt/algae buildup

dmat3889

Feb 20, 2018
BR La
So not my pool but im at a loss of how to help. Friend bought an above ground 20' dia x 4' intex pool. The pumps were replaced due to total lack of power to a 3/4 hp one with a sand filter.

We keep doing our best to test and treat his pool water but he keeps having dirt building up on the bottom. The valve is only a 4 way with no waste feature and the connection points arent made for any hose hookups.

I'm used to dealing with my inground pool that I can vacuum out easily so im not sure what we should be doing here. The buildup is just to much and im at a loss of how to remove it other than draining the pool which is what he has been doing.

This is in louisiana if that means anything.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
With no option to vacuum to waste, you might need to look into getting a sump/trash pump. Something you can operate separately so you can just suck all that junk out.

Tcadwall0

Gold Supporter
May 19, 2021
Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
I had an intex above ground, and because the suction side 'ports' were so small, I jerry-rigged a reducer and had to cut out some of the 'strainer' built into the port with some snips. Then I could attach a normal vaccum hose to it, and it worked great for years.

Takes a little commitment and creativity, but it can be done. I wish I had a picture of it, but I sold it recently.

But there should still be a waste on the sand filter, right?

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.