Cleaning light and drains during SLAM

kstough

Jun 7, 2019
Ozark, AL
New pool owner here :wave: I am getting ready to do a SLAM for what I think is mustard algae. How in the world do I clean behind the light cover and drain covers without hiring a professional?

Here is a pic of the light fixture and drains we have (ignore the iron stains by the drains — we have since removed)

With the drains I’m assuming turning off pump and taking multiple breath breaks while screwing them off. But how to keep from floating to the top? I’ve seen weighted belts mentioned but wondering if there is an easier way…

Attachments

• 769C4877-9751-411D-9FEE-C0EAB9967CBA.jpeg
    769C4877-9751-411D-9FEE-C0EAB9967CBA.jpeg
    599.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 3E1FCDF8-9A1C-4367-989E-49387BBF649D.jpeg
    3E1FCDF8-9A1C-4367-989E-49387BBF649D.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 18
It appears the light is in a niche. You can just remove the single screw on the ring around the light, the ring swings down, and the light assembly can be pulled out to the deck.

The drain is not likely to be an issue. Brush / Vac over the top of it to disturb the water in the area.

Reactions: kstough
It appears the light is in a niche. You can just remove the single screw on the ring around the light, the ring swings down, and the light assembly can be pulled out to the deck.

The drain is not likely to be an issue. Brush / Vac over the top of it to disturb the water in the area.
I know this may be a silly question, but the light cover can be removed without lowering the pool water level below it, correct? Is there a risk of electrical shock or is the light/wiring still covered even when taking off the protective cover?

I know this may be a silly question, but the light cover can be removed without lowering the pool water level below it, correct
Great question. And correct. It’s basically just a trim piece that holds the light assembly in there. The assembly itself is waterproof and safe.

* be super mondo careful not to drop the screw.

Great question. And correct. It’s basically just a trim piece that holds the light assembly in there. The assembly itself is waterproof and safe.

* be super mondo careful not to drop the screw.
When doing the Slam, would I need to scrub this every day? Or would once in the beginning be enough? Or should I also do it on the last day when I increase FC to mustard algae levels?

When doing the Slam, would I need to scrub this every day? Or would once in the beginning be enough? Or should I also do it on the last day when I increase FC to mustard algae levels?

If possible, it is best to leave the light out of the niche during the SLAM. But if not, I would do it once during the SLAM, then when you raise to MA FC levels for 24 hours, remove it for the duration of that.

If possible, it is best to leave the light out of the niche during the SLAM. But if not, I would do it once during the SLAM, then when you raise to MA FC levels for 24 hours, remove it for the duration of that.
Thanks for your help! Hoping this takes care of our algae problem. Assuming it’s mustard algae since after the last regular Slam (only a few weeks ago) the algae came right back 😭

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.