Chino Hills CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Last summer K cleaned my 6 year old IC40 and immediately afterwards it stopped producing chlorine.
Assuming I blew it up somehow using an incorrect concentration of Muriatic Acid I replaced it ($1100).
This is a three part question.
1. After installation I noticed the “cell” light was on intermittently, not constantly. The person at the Pentair told me that was normal. Is it?
2. What is the ideal muriatic acid dilution and procedure for proper cleaning? I don’t want to destroy another unit.
3. I kept the nonfunctional IC40 and reinstalled it for the winter (Water temp is 50 degrees). Is that Cricket?

1. After installation I noticed the “cell” light was on intermittently, not constantly. The person at the Pentair told me that was normal. Is it?
The Cell light is Green when the SWCG is producing chlorine. So it does cycle on and off based on your % generation setting.
2. What is the ideal muriatic acid dilution and procedure for proper cleaning? I don’t want to destroy another unit.
With proper chemistry, you should not get buildup requiring acid. If the scale cannot be removed with water or popsicle stick, etc, best to use cleaning vinegar. Normally 6% acetic acid. Should be available at home improvement stores. If you must use MA, dilute 10:1 with water.
3. I kept the nonfunctional IC40 and reinstalled it for the winter (Water temp is 50 degrees). Is that Cricket?
Not necessary. Mine stays in all year.

Reactions: Bcorig
B,

The average life of a salt cell is 5 to 7 years. Some people get lucky, and some do not. :mrgreen:

I doubt anything you did caused the cell to fail unless you used full strength MA to clean it.

What Marty said above /\

Putting your old cell back in for the winter won't hurt anything, but not really necessary in your location.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Bcorig
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.