Clean pool before opening

eldender

Silver Supporter
Jun 27, 2018
Canada
Is it weird to run our pool cleaner (Polaris 955) a few times before we actually open it?

Our equipment is 20+ feet from the pool and up hill. I find when we clean the filters it takes forever to prime again. So, was thinking this would minimize the number of times I would need to clean them this summer given once it’s first open all of the filth from the winter goes through.

Thoughts?

What kind of filth is in the pool when you open it? I am guessing you have a robot cleaner but want to make sure before I say anything else.

Yes. I have a Polaris 955. This will only be our second time opening but last year it was dirt that came through the pool cover. We get tons of snow here and so just the dirt coming through there I suppose?

One way to prime faster is to shut off all but one of your suction lines while priming. So for mine, I can run my floor drains, skimmer A or skimmer B by itself (or any combination I want). By directing all the pump's suction to one skimmer closest to the equipment pad with the other skimmer and the floor drains off, I prime much quicker than if I leave all of those opened. Then once primed and running, slowly open the other drains to allow any air to purge.

run my floor drains, skimmer A or skimmer B by itself (or any combination I want). By directing all the pump's suction to one skimmer closest to the equipment pad with the other skimmer and the floor drains off, I prime much quicker than if I leave all of those opened. Then once primed and running, slowly open the other

Yeah I do turn off the skimmers and just do the main drains but still takes forever! It's a decent up hill so I guess that's a part of it?

Yeah I do turn off the skimmers and just do the main drains but still takes forever! It's a decent up hill so I guess that's a part of it?

It's an "uphill battle" for sure! As long as it eventually primes and I can see why you don't like to lose prime!

Another option if you can is to shut all of your suction drains off at the pump (if you can) just before you turn off the pump. Then when you are ready to turn the pump back on, turn it on first, when it start spinning/priming, open your suction line again. The theory is that the line should still have water in it from when you shut it off avoiding having to suck it uphill. This assumes your valves seal very well. Older valves may not seal as well an allow the water in the pipes to drain back to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.