Clarification on Ozone vs. UV---High daily FC loss

And for those wondering- for a 6 night SLAM on a clear pool where the only symptom was large loss of FC per day we used exactly 30 gallons of 10% chlorine at a cost of $165, and $55 worth of testing reagents (half of that is because I didn’t have enough prior to starting and ran out midway-pool store prices).

Grand total $221 and 187ppm FC added to the pool.
8A6367C5-0914-4D94-BD9E-D0138E932DF8.png

And for those wondering- for a 6 night SLAM on a clear pool where the only symptom was large loss of FC per day we used exactly 30 gallons of 10% chlorine at a cost of $165, and $55 worth of testing reagents (half of that is because I didn’t have enough prior to starting and ran out midway-pool store prices).

Grand total $221 and 187ppm FC added to the pool.
View attachment 161031

Great job, and great looking pool.
And just so you know, Home Depot also has our bleach.
3 to a case for about 9 bucks

Attachments

• 30686EA9-6B51-4FE2-A4CD-032872AE3AD8.jpeg
    30686EA9-6B51-4FE2-A4CD-032872AE3AD8.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Krysib
So....

passed the OCLT Thursday and Friday night. Was going to test again this morning but woke up to a DRAINED spa!!!

somehow last night after using the spa the automatic actuator for the pool returns switched over but the drain stayed in spa mode. ☠️💀

so-refilled the spa, reset the actuators and working on getting FC stabilized again with the extra fresh water. Also had planned a party today so dosing up in anticipation of the extra bather load.

wish me luck!!

As an aside-ordered a phosphate test from Taylor-didn’t get a reading above 250ppb——so another example of why we don’t trust the pool store!!!!

Hi all-

I did a SLAM last week after noticing high daily FC lose on my new pool.

passed the OCLT two nights in a row on Thursday and Friday. Let FC float down over the long weekend and have been maintaining and checking levels multi times a day to ensure it doesn’t go below min for my cya.

So if I passed the OCLT-why do I still have to add a gallon of 10% bleach daily to my pool? That would adds over 6ppm FC daily.

should I increase my cya to 70? Or will I still lose 6ppm FC daily?

As an aside-it was rainy and cloudy today

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.